Re: ORV Registration

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Is there an ongoing annual fee?
    Steven rupp
    Not AS OF NOW!!!!
    Tomorrow? Next year???
    My guess is probably.

The fee is one time for one owner. If the orv is sold it gets transferred the same as a car or motorcycle and then tax and transfer fee are applicable. The BCWF has been involved in this from the start and would only sign off on the one time only fee.

Who represents you, the BCWF represents me.

Quote Originally Posted by jack pine savage View Post
    . If you have had your orv since before 2010 you do not have to prove that the taxes have been paid.
    From what I read on the ministry of finance notice to off road vehicle owners (rev 2014), you are not correct. You will be required to provide proof that PST was paid on any registering unit regardless of model year or purchase date. If you can't provide documentation proving YOU paid PST, you will be required to pay the outstanding taxes. If it was bought after 2010 you pay taxes at time of registration. If you bought prior to 2010, you are still going to have to pay, but through forms and dealing directly with the taxation branch, not ICBC. You have to register so will be on the books as owing. A clip from the taxation branch PDF below:

ORVs Acquired Before April 1, 2013 For ORVs acquired at a private sale in BC on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013, or at a private sale outside BC but within Canada and brought into BC on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013, the 12% PST applies. If you are required to register the ORV, ICBC will collect PST at the time of registration if PST has not yet been paid. Otherwise, you are required to self-assess the PST payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405) and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. You may be required to pay the provincial portion of the HST on that ORV if the applicable tax has not been paid for ORVs acquired:  at a sale that is a taxable supply from a GST registrant (e.g. ORV dealer) outside BC but within Canada and brought into BC on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013, or  brought into BC from outside Canada on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013. For more information, please contact us (see Further Information below). For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (SST) applies. You must self-assess the tax payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405) and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. Please note: If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at the time of registration. Instead, you should contact us to arrange payment of the PST. Further
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    i would be sending my kid to school with a real hockey stick, baseball bat and a bag full of peanut butter sandwiches

There is also a larger thread going on this is the Open Chat forum for those that would like to do more reading from members.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    i would be sending my kid to school with a real hockey stick, baseball bat and a bag full of peanut butter sandwiches

Typical tax grab. You can bet there will be more and more fees every year. For example, can someone tell me why I have to buy a plate for my snowmobile that has been registered and had plates on it since 1997?

Talked to my insurance agent today, they were actually taking the online course now so they will be ready when it goes live, went through some of the course while there, it does not look good in the long term.
    costs will go up and it is set up so it can be made an annual renewal, not a one time shot like this introductory version.
    "Life is too short."

I paid the gst and pst. When I bought my quad. Now if I have to pay that again. Then the BCWF. Has just lost another member. This is not in the interest of me ,or is it of the members. Maybe they are getting a kick back.

Well I have one and I have nothing on it, I got it when a brother died, so that complicates things.
    "Life is too short."

Hmmm will be contacting icbc..already pai gst or pst in 2007 ..not going to repay that..sound like choking sounds by bcwf...complete money grab. Period.
    Steven

So I bought the quad I have now in 2011. The quad was a consigned bike to a dealer. The bill of sale shows I paid HST..I assume HST equates with PST so I should be ok but who knows. I was in favor of registration but now that I may owe hundreds of dollars may have changed my mind .Common sense tells me its a good idea having registration but spending money??? Funny how that works.