Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Getting into the hobby" threads...

Re: "Getting into the hobby" threads...

Quote Originally Posted by keoke View Post
    The easiest way into a hunting party is to find a hunter with daughters and marry the least crazy one.
    Haha. Sounds like an idea for another sticky thread. HBC Singles. LOL
    "Dave's a killer"

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun!"

It's not a hobbie its a way of life!!! Enjoy the heck out of it it's a good lifestyle!!
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

The easiest way into a hunting party is to find a hunter with daughters and marry the least crazy one.
    this is the truth
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

To have an educational sticky, although it sounds like a good idea; is open to peoples opinion. What I may feel is an essential piece of kit, may not be something that another hunter never uses. There are important things such as marksmanship and knowing your own limits. Many new hunters have missed deer; either shooting high or low when it comes to shooting up hill etc. Practice with your rifle is a major part of it. And the point about marksmanship; this only applies to gun hunters, and points would be useless to bow hunters.
    Hunting is a skill that is developed over time. It is not something that you can be successful at just because you went in the bush.
    Lots of info to be gained just by reading members posts when they tell the short stories of their hunt. What went right? what went wrong? what could have made a different outcome?

People hunt different species of animals and these animals sometimes share the same habitat. Learning what areas animals live in will also aid in the hunt.

As others have mentioned; it would be a great benefit to a new hunter to research from sources other than this site. I don't think the intention of this site on its inception was to be a supplement to the CORE, nor an all inclusive educational resource for new hunter education. You can always make a new post and ask a question. Some answers will be short, other people may even PM you and give you lots of info. Being with someone in the woods is an excellent way to learn more. None of us sat behind our computer, read a bunch of stuff online and headed out. Its been years of others teaching us; whether we know it or not.
    And ya... if you get in with the least crazy one, and her dad accepts you.. that's your golden ticket!
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

so any of ya'll got a 20 something sane girl i can marry?
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    A lot of your questions can only be answered with lots, and lots of research. In the end you will find numerous ways to get the job done, but only one suits your needs, abilities, or desires. For instance, a person can get away with purchasing a gun, and driving the back roads to hunt. He's happy.... Another guy wants the full meal deal, with a gun or bow, backpack, tent, range finder, gps, various knives, day pack, binos, spotting scope, bivy sack, compass, water filtration unit, camp stove, etc, etc, etc, etc. The list is endless. With that, each and every piece of gear, has so many options to choose from. The only way to figure that out is research, and questions. Have fun, and good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    To have an educational sticky, although it sounds like a good idea; is open to peoples opinion. What I may feel is an essential piece of kit, may not be something that another hunter never uses. !
    Awesome points!! One only has to look back at threads that ask "looking to buy my first rifle"....."what are the best hunting boots"....."what is the best tent/sleeping bag"...."what are the best tire for my truck"..."where do I find deer" etc and you'll see a boat load of responses. Although not all are active there are just shy of 16,000 registered members on this site....that's one big ass campfire to sit around with a pile of answers/opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
    I've been browsing the forum quite a bit last week or so, and something I've noticed to be lacking (when compared to forums for my other hobbies) are threads that provide basic, but concrete information on various hunting-related topics for fresh newbies.

Some examples:
    - Buying your first firearm
    - Essential gear/equipment; everything from footwear, to clothing, to knives and emergency equipment
    - What "is" hunting? Finding a location, hiking, best tips, how to do this and that.
    - Field-dressing the animal and transporting it to your vehicle
    - Unspoken rules / common courtesy items that all hunters know, but may not be obvious to others

A dedicated (and stickied) thread on each of these topics (and more, I'm sure) would be very valuable to newbies like me, and would certainly make getting into hunting seem like less of an overwhelming experience. Lots of this information is already available, but it's scattered through thousands of threads and is very hard to get a solid grasp on.
    Quote Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
    even tackling the most basic questions/answers would be useful. It would be a starting point, a "boost" to newbies' education, if you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    I agree it is really helpful to have at least a "Bare essentials" or "Starting point" to build off of... .
    I get what you guys are saying and as others have mentioned....if you do some research on here using the "Advanced Search" functionality in the upper left corner of the page you as newbies can find likely 95% of the info you are looking for. Please don't take this the wrong way but you guys are new to the sport/pursuit/lifestyle AND are adults or close to; this is an awesome thing you are pursuing so take some ownership of your own learning rather than hoping to have everything laid out for you systematically. Trust me....I am not trying to be an arse but taking the time to learn SO much of this stuff is what is fun. Ya....many of us had fathers, friends, or other family to show up some of the ropes when we were young but the internet didn't exist when I was young and learning; if I had the internet or the resources available online I would be reading/learning even more than my Dad taught me growing up.

Rather than JUST relying on experienced hunters and members of this forum take some ownership, do some research, ASK questions as there are members here more than willing to type up a response. However to ask members to do up a full "to do" list covering EVERYTHING to get started in hunting from gear, how-to's on everything, biology and anatomy of animals etc is a BIT much. Let me tell you, close to everything you want to know is at your fingertips whether you search on the forum, Google, or YouTube (TONS of tutorials on YouTube).

I've been around here since about the first 200 members and can't tell you how many times I have seen the same threads pop up and the same opinions over and over and over and over. "I am new to hunting, what should my first rifle be" is a VERY common one. Scroll through the newbies forum at thread titles and I am sure you'll find the discussion pop up numerous times and you can read to your heart's content; .243, .270, .308, 7mm etc.....it's all there.

Here's throwing a challenge out to you guys who are new to the forum and new to hunting. Why don't you guys compose a list of questions...do some research on them be it on here or elsewhere....post up the info you find and maybe through the membership here it could be refined to become the very sticky's you are looking for? You're killing two birds with one stone; you are taking some initiative and learning what you are asking about AND you are already helping future new or newer hunters that stumble across the forum looking for help.

Like others have said the list of needs and wants can and will vary greatly depending on where you hunt, time of year and species hunted. Like others have stated one only needs basic clothing, a weapon and a knife and one can go hunting. After that it really depends on your personality and the bolded things above. For example I have 4 tents that each has a specific purpose. Also have numerous boots as I find one does not do it for me (a boot that works for hunting sheep in mid 30's temp it not the greatest in a foot of snow in November.) Sure one could get away with one boot but I choose not to.

So instead of writing a book on hunting of what I do, I will do one better. If any newbie in the Kamloops area wants to go out and learn or come over and go over gear etc etc. Send me a PM.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    so any of ya'll got a 20 something sane girl i can marry?
    That falls in the mythical creature category right next to the unicorn.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    That falls in the mythical creature category right next to the unicorn.
    The age of MGTOW.

Now, a man reads a quote like that and thinks it is the worst advice ever. Then he starts thinking...maybe, just maybe.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?