Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to BC grouse hunting

New to BC grouse hunting

Well, I am still waiting for my 6 months before I can convert my Ontario hunting license to a BC hunting license. I found out I can just get a non resident small game and go for grouse. I know its short notice but can anyone point me in the right direction for an area I can go for some grouse? I am hoping to get out tomorrow. I was following along with the other grouse thread. I am just itching to get out somewhere so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to BC grouse hunting

Also I was figuring region 8 would be my best bet. just no idea where to go. I have a 4x4 pickup so I am able to get down trails/logging roads etc.. Nothing too crazy thought I just have AT's

Without knowing where you are located I think you have generally about 4 right directions. North, South, East, West.
    Any slopes that get the morning sun should have grouse.
    Look for spruce along the roads with the morning sun.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I am in coquitlam, so clearly I am going for a drive as I don't think there is really anything close by. I don't mind up to a 3 or 4 hour drive if that helps.

If you sit on any highway (1,3,5) out of here and drive for 3-4 hours you should be in grouse country.
    3 is a good bet. It looks like it's going to be sunny for the next few days and grouse will probably be out soaking the sun after these few soggy days.
    You might get lucky.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

adriaticum gave some prettty good advice about where to look for grouse, as well as the direction(s) to head.

For close areas with grouse, you'll find a few around Squamish, Hope, Chilliwack, Boston Bar... West Harrison sometimes too, but haven't checked it out this year. Region 2 has pretty darn good numbers this year. There's never a guarentee in Region 2, but wandering around in those areas, there is a good chance you will find some birds.

On my last local outing, I ran across a few individual grouse, but with only a 30-06, I decided to leave them alone. That is, until I had given up on deer saw a group of 5 grouse. I watched them for a bit, waiting for 3 or more to line up and make it worth the bullet... never happened though.

Region 3 has more birds... anywhere off the connector should do just fine.

I've never tried 100 Mile House area in November--and haven't checked the regs for November either--but in October south cariboo FSR's are so infested with grouse that after you bag your limit, you have to get out of the truck to shoo them away in order to not exceed your bag limit by running them over. Anyway that's only an hour more out of your way, but it would probably be the ultimate grouse hunting experience if the grouse hunting is even half as good as October.

Sounds like highway 3 is my best bet. Is there an online source for logging roads or non maintained roads or do I need to go get the paper book?

100 Mile house area sounds interesting though as well. I will need to check the regs.

I didn't get a chance to go out but Saturday looks good. Does anyone know what the area east of squamish is like? I was looking at the maps and was thinking we could drive some of the logging roads in between and up and down the second valley off the river to the south.

I've had lots of success in region 8, pretty much any FSR right when the sun starts to hit them. The grouse right onto the roads to warm up.