Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask your LEH questions here...

Re: Ask your LEH questions here...

Good answwers, thanks.

For the higher odds-against hunts, could the Enhanced Odd system be further enhanced, by taking a deeper/longer bite, say to 80% then escalating each year to 60,40,20 ? Would this help eliminate repeat winners ?

Thanks Gatehouse and everyone involved.

Sheds some light on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

WoodOx Guest

Sweet thanks a lot. Never thoroughly thought about the points system that way - in the same breath, Ive neer heard of a alberta drawn taking longer than 8 years to get? Mabye im naive, as i havent looked that deep either.

Quote Originally Posted by agaucher
    Sweet thanks a lot. Never thoroughly thought about the points system that way - in the same breath, Ive neer heard of a alberta drawn taking longer than 8 years to get? Mabye im naive, as i havent looked that deep either.
    While I appreciate his response my buddy in Alberta who lived and hunted in BC most of his life disagrees

Quote-
    His answers for not going with a points system is hooey. If hunters begin to see that they WILL NOT get drawn, not MIGHT not get drawn, then they will put in their effort elsewhere. The highest wait time in AB is 12 years. Mtn Goat and some sheep areas are no preference odds, and sure enough, you get 100's of people putting in for it, cause there is a CHANCE of getting drawn.

The other issue is that AB has many more hunts on LEH to ensure proper mgmt of numbers. BC is still a wide open shooting gallery, mulies are open for almost 4 months in some areas for **** sake. Therefore, with more LEH hunts and fewer wide open seasons, demand per hunt would go down (greater supply). You will see what proper wildlife mgmt can do when you get here in the fall.

If BC adopted the priority system within 5 to 10 years the odds
    situation would totally change.

Also, the reason they have so much population analysis to work out is partly due to the open season situation. With no compulsory reporting, hunter harvest needs to be guessed at.

Feel free to forward my response.

While I realise that it's not really a question Gates I would find it interesting to know what he would say to this thinking as my buddy and I have debated this issue for years
    Last edited by Elkhound; 03-20-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Re phrase it as a respectful question, and I'll submit it.

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

OK- here's an issue where we as hunters must get involved. The answer re an electronic system will only get addressed if the funding is there. The funding for such a system is at the whims of the politicians as opposed to the bureaucrats. If the funding were, as Mr LEH seems to indicate, forthcoming, if some other, more "sexy" issue might arise, then you can bet that that funding could be put on the back burner for another time. It is up to us that partake in this sport/pastime to drop a line to our MLA and ask why the hunting/fishing license can't be electronic as well as the LEH draw. Mr. LEH has indicated to me in the past that when Ministry officials as well as their masters get consistent mail about a topic, that they must react, one way or another. I'm thinking that's how the antis got the GBear moratorium way back when. I'm sending mine off.

Once the online system of licencing and such is working, could it not be possible to log on and report a recent kill? (tag cutting) This way it would be like "real time" game counting. This may facilitate a means to have the LEH draws sooner??

Thanks Gents, for the work and answers so far.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Gatehouse,
    I appreciate the persons thoughtful response and allthough I'm not sure who the author is, it quite closely echoes the views of some of the Ministry staff that I visit with each year at the Premier's Tag meetings for the auctioned sheep and elk tags. During breaks in our meetings the discussion frequently goes to LEH's and the questions are allways similar to what is posted here.

Another issue which needs some attention is the fact that over one third of the grizzly LEH'S that are issued bear tags are not bought (2000 and 2001 data from gov't website).I am sure some tags go to the antis, but many tags go to hunters who were never serious in the first place. As a result, they're sitting on the tag which they can't even be bothered to buy, or make an attempt to hunt, and I get to sit at home another spring, when I would truly love to be out hunting a grizzly. It would make sense with an electronic internet system that if you draw a grizzly LEH you automatically buy the tag as well, by visa, paypal or whatever. This would stop people who were not serious about hunting bears from just willy nilly putting in.
    I am told that this one third is figured into the equation, however, by removing these individuals who were not serious about bear hunting in the first place would allow the bio's to get a better consensus and understanding of the bear population because it would be removing the unknown variable.
    I am not talking about the guy who has just had a baby or lost his job, I'm talking about the guy who was never really planning to go hunt at all, but put in on a whim because he only had five bucks to lose. If it cost $85 right off the bat many of these people would think twice about putting in and at least the gov't would get another $85 out of each tag issued to the antis.
    Last edited by Shade Tree; 03-20-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy
    Horshur, the new allocation policy is set up so that residents achieve their AAH. This means all barriers are examined and rectified. This may mean more LEH authorizations, more access, longer seasons, different seasons or going to a GOS if need be. Remember the only issue is on LEH or animals that are on quota.

So far as antlerless draws go we'll be guaranteed 98% of them, so that ain't such a big deal!
    I'm unsure what AAH stands for ----Thanks for reply inspite of my post being removed