Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798

Thread: Ask your LEH questions here...

Re: Ask your LEH questions here...

Got a question, why is all of the Roosevelt Elk draws being given start October 10th (not including winter draws), When the best time to call them in has ended?

Why no draw being given up Chehalis for Elk??!!

Never knew there were elk up the Chehalis . Are you talking about the Chehalis Lake area ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Got a question, why is all of the Roosevelt Elk draws being given start October 10th (not including winter draws), When the best time to call them in has ended?

Why no draw being given up Chehalis for Elk??!!
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Rosies do lots of talking deep into Oct. Well, at least the guy in my Avatar and his buddies did.

Seriously though, I find they are not hard to locate in allot of areas and I have heard them taking as late as Dec while hunting the tail end of deer season. Good luck with the draw!!!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-11-2023 at 06:33 AM.

Most elk talk well into October. If they are living in a remote area as well, and are thus not call shy, they will be even more responsive. The second rut in October is also something to be put into your calculations when planning any "post rut" elk hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Rosies do lots of talking deep into Oct. Well, at least the guy in my Avatar and his buddies did.

Seriously though, I find they are not hard to locate in allot of areas and I have heard them taking as late as Dec while hunting the tail end of deer season. Good luck with the draw!!!!!
    Thanks Ron, you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobot Doog View Post
    Most elk talk well into October. If they are living in a remote area as well, and are thus not call shy, they will be even more responsive. The second rut in October is also something to be put into your calculations when planning any "post rut" elk hunt.
    My experience with Rosie's is limited, only started finding them last year and more this year as my scouting efforts for mature Blacktails has intensified. So maybe they do do things a little later than their cousins in the interior. Kind of like my findings with Blacktails lead me to believe they start pre rutting and rutting a little earlier than MD or WT.

I wasn't asking if they can be called in past Oct 10th, or if they go into a second rut faze, I know both take place every year. What i'm wondering is why, when September is arguably the most action packed time for Elk (my research and observation from Rocky Mountain Elk) and the calling is usually more effective, are there no draws given. Is it because guides with allotted tags and natives get to hunt that time while we get October 10th and on, just genuinely curious what is the reasoning behind them not giving draws in September.

I actually called a 6 point elk on Nov 12th
    Before .took a bit more coxing but brang him inn35 yards.
    To bad season closed
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Got drawn for 4-31 B goat north of the Halfway river, never hunted that side and unfortunately don't have much time this year to scout with a 4 month old and a 2 year old. Tried to swing it with the wife but got the frown of disapproval . Any tips would be welcome, if not wish me luck! I'll be pack hunting and planning on a grind. I've taken deer backpacking before but this would be my first goat.

Cheers,
    BCBackwoods