Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: back to puppies....

Re: back to puppies....

You could also try training the dog to dig in a spot that is ok to do so. (like a sand box) dogs like to dig! If you catch them digging, scold then direct them to the spot they are allowed to dig and encourage it only in that place they will understand a bit easier. Sometimes dogs that are a bit obsessed with digging it is easier to enourage digging in one spot then to be po'd at them all the time and frustrated with doggie landscaping skills lol!

I agree with the poop in the hole trick works well most of the time.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    You could also try training the dog to dig in a spot that is ok to do so. (like a sand box) dogs like to dig! If you catch them digging, scold then direct them to the spot they are allowed to dig and encourage it only in that place they will understand a bit easier. Sometimes dogs that are a bit obsessed with digging it is easier to enourage digging in one spot then to be po'd at them all the time and frustrated with doggie landscaping skills lol!

I agree with the poop in the hole trick works well most of the time.
    We take our Yellow Lab for a walk every day and part of that walk takes place on the beach. Along the lines of what you've suggested, we encourage her to dig while on the beach. That, plus lots of exercise, is helped to keep her from any unwanted digging.

I sprinkled cayenne pepper in all the areas that my dog was digging.
    All digging stopped immediately.
    Now that he is older, he will dig when we are at the beach, but nowhere else.

Pete

i tried the cayenne pepper thing i tried the head in the hole and put the dirt on her head...niether worked she is doin better lately but i dont think its done.....when we go for walks its hard to encourage her to dig cuz where we go there isnt any real places to dig.....
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Good question by the way, especially if they are digging in your other 1/2's flower garden!

If the firm scolding doesn't work...repeat...if still

Exercise...someone said it earlier...especially if you have high strung dogs...like hunting dogs or some of the working dogs...(Not that toy breeds don't, they just are usually in the house).

I know if I didn't take my dogs out for a run at least every 3 days...I would have a Viet Cong tunnel system in the backyard...it was horrible. I road my dogs anyway...about 4-6 miles either in the truck or on the ATV...and if nothing else...we'll go work a field together...and let them burn of their extra energy.

Hope this helps...
    V/R
    Dane