Thread: Anyone used Morton Tender Quick?

Anyone used Morton Tender Quick?

Quick question. I've made lots of fresh sausage, but this is my first foray into cured sausage. I'm making sausage with TQ and have seen conflicting directions for how to cure the meat. I know it's 1.5 tsp/lb and not to add extra salt to the recipe. My question is how long to cure it for and the best method. I've seen anywhere from overnight to 4 days. I've seen to cure cut meat in a brine before grinding. I've seen to grind and then mix cure with spices and leave in the fridge. I've seen to grind, season/cure and stuff right away and leave in the casings in the fridge to cure.
    In the interest of saving time, I'll tell you my plan is to grind, then mix the cure with the seasoning and leave in the fridge to cure before stuffing. Does that sound good? And if so, is overnight ok, or should I leave it for a few days? Thanks.
    "Dave's a killer"

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun!"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone used Morton Tender Quick?

That's the way it works for ground jerky. Grind, mix, leave in fridge overnight.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

There are a few great books out there that have great info, I would suggest getting one or checking the library. The sausage I make is all cured after stuffing. There are different procedures for dry curing certain types of sausages compared to cure for a slow smoked sausage.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

I would stuff then let it sit overnight. I found once it starts to set it can be pretty tough on your casings.
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

I mix all my stuff into the meat and stuff the casings immediately and then let it hang for 48 hours before the final cooking. Seem to work good for me.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

iI use mortons faithfully over nite in fridge is fine I have three full bags on hand got sum great easy recipes pm me if any questions
    look sharp be sharp

4 hours is minimum but I usually go overnight.