Thread: Hanging An Elk Mount

Hanging An Elk Mount

Looking for opinions on the best/safest way to hang my elk shoulder mount which I just got back from the taxidermist. I have 18' high ceilings in my living room and plan to hang it about 12 feet up the wall, over the couch and I don't want it to come crashing down on someone (not sure how I managed to convince my wife this was a good spot but I must have been on my A game when we had the discussion of where it would go as it didn't end up in the garage!).
    I was thinking of just screwing a 3.5" - 5/16 lag into a stud and hanging from the metal L braket that's over the cut out in the 3/4 plywood on the back of the mount.....but then I started thinking that due to how far the mount sticks out from the wall that it will have a lot of force on the stud and lag bolt. Also with kids running around,slamming doors, etc. was worried it may slip off the head of the lag bolt and rotate and fall off.....So I was wondering if you think the bracket on the back of the mount sitting on the 5/16 lag will be safe enough or if there is a better and safer way to secure it?

I know there are a lot of people on here that have experience hanging big heavy mounts so hoping I can get some good input into this.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hanging An Elk Mount

An L bracket on a mount like this is not good enough, build one like this with a positive lock and your good to go.
    Lag bolt will be fine sunk into a stud

I'll second what wild images said. They are heavy and cumbersome so make sure you support it with a good self binding mounting plate. This link should give you some creative ideas.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Hangers-C57.aspx

Those plates that wild images posted are great. Our taxidermist mounted one on my elk shoulder mount backer. Your 5/16 lag sits nicely in the groove... just make sure you hit a stud with it!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll get on of those mounting plates before I hang it!

Make sure to hit the dead Center of the stud. Get a very small drill bit and test drill to find one edge then measure over 3/4 inch pre drill your lag hole and enjoy. You may want to put a plate of some kind so the mount ing plate does not dig into the drywall

Post a pic of the mount once you have it hanging. Can't wait to see it!

As has been said a good lag bolt and a plate like Wild Images pictured.
    I'll just add a thought for anyone who's building a house and likes taxidermy, when I built my place last year there were a couple walls that I knew I wanted to put taxidermy on in the vaulted great room. I doubled up the studs in these walls and sheeted them with 1in ply under the dry wall so I can sink a lag anywhere I want to hang something.

And check out the quality of the lag screw ... I've had brand new Home Depot specials that snapped off while screwing them in the stud. Old ones always seem to be better but maybe you can find a stainless steel one. 3/8 would be better ...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Urbanites tend to regard wealth as a source of happiness.
    Rural folk tend to regard happiness as a source of wealth.

Have you considered using a french cleat method? I am planning on mounting an elk rack that is attached to a large, fairly heavy piece of fir and am also worried about the weight of it. I think the french cleat method might be useful for you as well.
    I can smell the spring bear and ferel pig bacon jalapeņo Swiss smokies already �� "bucks&trucks"