Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: InReach Satellite Tracking Device

Re: InReach Satellite Tracking Device

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Inreach seems to be for those with deep pockets. I certainly would have to dig deeper than I would care.
    I will just stay with my SPOT. It reaches out and touches my wife when I remember to touch the button.

Cant see why you would say that?

Can you actually switch your spot off for 9 months of the year and pay nada?

Can you put a price on your own safety or rescue? Can you put a price on the fact that if you get injured you can tell the resue team exactly what's going on, by answering their texts to you? Perhaps you can you tell us the value of this system if you happen to get incapacitated - you track freezes, your hunting partner (who is looking for you) gets no response on his texts to you, but by looking at his smart phone can pinpoint your exact location (within 10 feet) and rescue you?

Can your wife / loved one put a price on peace of mind it brings them when they can send you a message and have a response within in seconds? What is the price for the ability for them to look at a computer screen, and know exactly where you are - or see that your track has been immobile for a number of hours, spelling possible problems?

Can your hunting partner put a price on it when his quad breaks down 30ks from camp and he can tell you exactly where he is and what to bring to get him going again - all, when there is no other form of comms than sat phone?

These are only a handful of scenarios I spelled out - but never-mind, you stick to your method - pinch those pennies and struggle along with outdated technology! I'll hunt with my partners or solo with complete peace of mind.
    Last edited by Ranger95; 10-31-2014 at 06:41 AM.

A buddy has one through work and loves it!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I have original Inreach, it eats batteries like nothing I've ever used before. But I would never leave home without it.
    I go solo a lot and my family can know where I am. Two way msging is awesome. I will wait till the new version ( someday I hope) comes out with a double a battery version and will buy that one.

I purchased one for our 2 week hunt this year and it froze (would not turn) on the first day in the bush; I was pretty pissed at this. On return to civilization I contacted Delorme and they stated it was a firmware problem and directed me to a webpage with a recovery procedure that required you to plug unit into AC power. Obviously no use to me after the trip but I must say I was impressed with Delorme (roadpost) as they refunded my activation and fees and would take back the unit if I had problems returning it to where I bought it.

I'll probably get another one before next year's trip (versus a competitor's unit) due to the customer service I received. I'll may get the Explorer SE versus the SE as this year I lost my Garmin into the river (that is another story) and the Explorer SE has GPS functions.

This trip was a good lesson not to be totally dependant on technology and reiterated why I carry a compass/map plus ensuring my wife knows where I plan to be before I go.

Sorry about long post but important topic to me. These are first and foremost a tool to save your bacon. Sure they do a bunch of other 'nice', non emergency functions that folks might want to use.
    Responded to a SAR call last year - in reach sos, no more texts being sent. Very remote area GB hunters... Set up small team with good "bear management" skills and two of us hover exited at unit last known location which happened to be at jet boat/rudimentary tent camp. After very cautious brush patrol of area... Nobody there. Heli left due to daylight flying requirements. Hunters returned in skiff after dark. Turns out 'waterproof' unit got wet previous day in wader pocket when hunter immersed for 5-10 seconds. Unit automatically sent sos which hunter cancelled then it froze/locked up and little did they know sent another sos, which they couldn't cancel even if they knew. So please realize they aren't perfect. Personally if you can afford it great tech, but at a minimum I'd wish all slack or backcountry folks had a spot. I was able to save an injured sledder's life a few years back thanks to their spot sos - takes the search out of SAR and time can be critical. On that call we had no extra daylight for heli and literally finished at VFR grounding time on a cloudy day. I'm not a tech guy (generation thing), so I don't hunt with a reliance on tech, just old fashioned common sense, skill, experience and self reliance. much like Avalanche incidents - you, your group should be self sufficient in dealing with emergencies as outside help is likely hours away. Advanced first aid training, group and personal first aid kits, essential survival gear are all critically important IMO. My remote hunting tools of choice are my spot (never a battery issue) and have forgotten it 'on' overnight in rain - non issue, and we use rino gps/radios to communicate between each other and know our relative locations. Bottom line, from a SAR perspective I'd love to see 90-100% of folks have spots than 20% with in reach. Till momma bear tells me I have to have text access I'm sticking with my spot. Oh yeah, our SAR group is very happy with in reach units - only minor issues easily resolved with quality tech support. Like anything else the more complicated something is, the more things can go wrong with it and I don't like that for equipment primarily meant to save my or my buddies arse.

Elkchaser sums it up for me.
    SPOT has served me well. I am impressed with the longevity of battery life, of course it requires lithium batteries.
    I don't need to text the wife at every turn in the trail. I use it to give her reassurance that I am okay. She is happy that she can pinpoint my position on google map when she receives her twice daily update . That satisfies her. She knows that should it be a "Need Help" message, she is to call the police. If it is a 911 message, she knows she will be contacted by SAR center and she may have to provide some information.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Battery life on my SE unit is about four days - then I use either the truck / RZR / boat or my Jackery Giant (costs$40) to bring it back for another 4 days, if I'm really remote (not really going to happen while hunting)

batteries are really not even something I worry about to be frank - my phone / iPad will die long- long before the SE will. (I carry different options to recharge those - depending on location)
    Last edited by Ranger95; 10-31-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Is this for the next time you burn all your holidays to go to Taiwan and don't have anything left for hunting season?
    Yes, then I will be able to receive hunting updates no matter where in the world I am!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    A buddy has one through work and loves it!

SSS
    Good thinking! Might have to do the same....

I'd rather get a proper, self-contained Iridium phone. A buddy gifted me InReach when it came out. I played with it and then disconnected it. The unit has been sitting on the shelf since. When I hooked mine up I did it in USA as their plans were much cheaper than Canadian plans.