Thread: pittbull grouse dog

pittbull grouse dog

we were camped in an area where we had seen bear and lots of coyote sign. we could hear the coyotes yipping at night, and had seen lots of sign. As we sat in camp one late afternoon before heading out for a deer hunt, my dog scoots up a hill and started growling. She doesn't make these kind of noises normally, so I figured something must be wrong. she doesn't bark at deer etc, so I thought "oh shit...coyote, wolf or bear". I grab my shotgun and haul ass to where she was; I couldn't call her off.. she wouldn't come back; she just stood her ground growling and barking. Once I got to where she was, I see that she is standing up against the tree and barking. I look around and don't see anything. Then I look up and see she has treed 3 grouse.
    swap over to birdshot and bag 2 of them.

She had always been on the leash when I would grouse hunt, I never let her run around when grouse hunting. Maybe she picked up on it? Now I let her run and flush um, she knows the game now
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

2. Site Sponsor

Re: pittbull grouse dog

Nice. I thought about trying it with my pitty. I no friends who do it with their dogs and are very successful
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Thats cool.Always wondered if bullys would be good for hunting.Question answered thanks.Your dogs ok with the shotgun?

yes, she is ok with the shotgun. she doesn't like the sound of it being racked, but she is fine with it being shot. As soon as the birds hit the ground, she will go to them.

got corgi cross she's a grate bird dog.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Dont take this wrong guys...... but your standards for a "Great" bird dog are pretty low.

I was just surprised that she did it at all!

my Buddy had a pitbull cross.... it put them up alright..... but you sure didnt want it to get a hol;d of the dead bird

I've got a french bulldog and once he's on a rabbit there's no getting him off of it, he was too young this year to see if he could find any grouse lol