Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 win mag deer round

300 win mag deer round

I've whacked a couple deer this year shooting federal blue box ammo in 180 grain. I had bought a moose tag and was hunting in moose country so I wanted to be armed and dangerous for that as well. I was thinking of switching it up to 150 grain to reduce collateral damage to the meat when I go for another whitetail. Is this logical thinking? Then thought I read somewhere that the increased velocity of the 150 grain can cause more damage?
    Any real world experience with this? I know a bad shot in the steaks is a bad shot no matter what it's hit with. I just notice more bone fragments on rib/heart lung shots vs a deer I shot with .300 savage last year. Only shot a few so don't really have too much to compare to.
    I have a savage 99 in .300 sav that I've been letting my buddy use on these hunts or else that would be my go to deer gun.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 300 win mag deer round

anything other than a mag is good for deer,

I used 185, 180, 165, 150 all in my 300 mag, all caused blood shock, so I switched guns to a 270, all my meat has been fine since

So you switched to 270 because the .300WSMImpact! was too much.

So I should make buddy use the mag and I'll handle my 300sav maybe...

Use a high penetrating round for less meat damage, more energy will be expelled on the ground instead of in the animal (and your meat). Anything barnes wont damage your meat as much as a lead core bullet. The heavier the bullet the more it will penetrate and if it goes through it will do less damage then a lighter round
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Use the ttsx and don't hit the shoulder and you will be fine. Behind the shoulder the ttsx or tsx stays in one piece and won't fragment. If you hit him in the shoulder it will make a mess no matter what you shoot him with

I have shot my last 3 deer with my 300 win mag with federal premium 180 gr nosler partition with minor meat loss.

Sounds like I have to buck up and spend a little more.
    Thanks guys!

I'll be the first one to say it, "Shot Placement" is the secret to not wasting meat compared to "Poor Shot Placement"! If you can shoot a animal through the rib cage, just behind the front shoulder so it's a in and out the other side without hitting the opposite shoulder shot, you may have to trim a few ounces of meat when hanging the animal. I've taken many, many Deer with 180 grain bullets from my 300 Mag's, and if shot properly there's very little blood shot meat, but hit it wrong and your going to waste either one or both front shoulders. Lots and lots of guys will disagree with me, but I still say if you hit a small animal like a Deer in the front shoulders, your going to have wasted meat, no matter what bullet your using.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    I'll be the first one to say it, "Shot Placement" is the secret to not wasting meat compared to "Poor Shot Placement"! If you can shoot a animal through the rib cage, just behind the front shoulder so it's a in and out the other side without hitting the opposite shoulder shot, you may have to trim a few ounces of meat when hanging the animal. I've taken many, many Deer with 180 grain bullets from my 300 Mag's, and if shot properly there's very little blood shot meat, but hit it wrong and your going to waste either one or both front shoulders. Lots and lots of guys will disagree with me, but I still say if you hit a small animal like a Deer in the front shoulders, your going to have wasted meat, no matter what bullet your using.
    Bingo!! Place the shot so it doesn't do so much damage, head shot gives you no damage at all to the edible meat.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I believe there are reduced load 300 wing bang cartridges to be found in 150 grain .
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach