Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting near squamish not squam valley fsr

Hunting near squamish not squam valley fsr

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum but have been hunting since the begininning of the season on the squamish valley fsroad's now that its flooded I'm hoping for a place to go for grouse and black tail deer.
    This is the first time for me going out on my own for bigger game (I have hunted many grouse, rabbit and porcupine in the yukon)
    Hopefully I can bag something big this year!
    Thanks for your suggestions, I have been a long time lurker on this site

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting near squamish not squam valley fsr

Tough hunting right now in most areas near Squamish. You need to get up high for bucks. I scouted up the Mamquam the other day but did not see anything promising except for what I believe were doe prints. I have heard that people try their luck on Brohm Ridge and further north at Chance Creek. Squamish FSR area gets better late in the season when the snow is down.

Back in the time when lots of logging was active, hunting was good. Lots of deer, blue grouse and blackies in logged areas after a year or more. Many roads were de-activated or are grown in or just too rough now.
    Get up high, some nice trophies are there still I'm sure. I know of two guys who have B & C black tails from the area. One for years was in the top ten for BC and they are awesome! Hike with good rain gear from the end of a road up a side hill and you should find one. Glass when possible across side hills and find tracks first. They will probably be watching you more than you know. The edge of old growth timber and re-gen can be a good start. Hunt with a partner or let someone know where you are. The terrain is unforgiving.

Try Albravo and squamishhunter as well.These guys know the area.

Ur best bet right now would be chance creek fsr. Thats where I would be if I didnt have to sell my truck last week

Hunted local Squamish/ Sea to Sky areas hard this last weekend. Zero, nothing, hardly any fresh tracks where I had seen lots of activity the weeks before. They suddenly seem to have disappeared. I think, the weather and lack of snow makes for a difficult hunt.
    Chance Cr would be tough due to high snowline. Everything is frozen solid and makes walking very noisy... good luck if you are out on the last day of season.

Used to do well on the powerlines when I lived there.

Anyone been up conroy forest road? Or the logging road above the lookout/viewpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Used to do well on the powerlines when I lived there.
    which power lines? There's tons in the area

anyone here have experience in chance creek? I was looking at the area and went there back in 2015 to see one Blacktail doe an hour before sunset in November