Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alberta Whitetail

Re: Alberta Whitetail

here is the finished product. I got my taxi to do this one, next one im gonna do myself.

Looks great! Congrats!
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    A few things I found hunting Alberta WT that might help you out.

Hunt the MU's that don't open for rifle till Nov. These areas are not hit hard till Nov and a lot of guys tag out before these open. The WT in these areas come to calls a lot better. Also find a higher % of large bucks. I like the MU's that are flatter with huge spans of forest.

Find where the evergreens and poplars meet. WT like to run scrape lines in these areas. Scout for scrapes I don't see much for rubs from Alberta WT. Target scrapes and scrapes only even if it is a well beaten trail pass it up for a scrape.

These areas are often thick and you will only get shots at 50yards or less. Don't get caught up on trying to maximize your range. Set a blind or treestand and use a combo of doe bleat/rattling. Grunts work for stopping but have not had luck drawing them in. Tree stand is my choice as it gives you a better field of view in the thick stuff. It can be a shock on what opens up when you are in the tree.

Sit first light to last in Nov they show up at the strangest times.

This is for crown land and in my opinion there is a lot of big bucks that are hiding in the thick stuff going unnoticed till the rut. Many in Alberta seem to overlook this because it is easy to spot the farmland deer. Also it is harder to pattern crownland WT before the rut.

Take this info and use it or not it is just what I found from hunting WT in north western Alberta. It may help save you some time trying to figure out those WT in Alberta
    Excellent advice, that balls on !!