Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poaching???

Poaching???

Hunting has become a big business for some people and when there is money involved, some are tempted to cross that line...

Would you do business with someone that was convicted of poaching?

Would it change things if you had been doing business with them before they were convicted or before you knew about it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Poaching???

What type of business are you talking about? Would I hire him as an outfitter, no. Would I build him a house, or sell him a car, why not.
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Geez that's a tough one...and what if it's someone you hold near & dear? It's kinda like the question "Is it ok to lie?" or is the cup half full or half empty. Seriously folks, my best guess would be to get away from them - look out for yourself and loved ones, your integrity, and your sanity so you can sleep well and carry on to HUNT another day! My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    What type of business are you talking about?
    Hunting businesses - guides, equipment, etc.

If someone has been convicted of a serious wildlife offence they have absolutely zero business working in the hunting/outfitting industry.

Just my personal opinion.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

WoodOx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys
    If someone has been convicted of a serious wildlife offence they have absolutely zero business working in the hunting/outfitting industry.
    Fully agree. forget about hunting - if a corporation offers a fradulent/misinformed public offering etc, they too shol dbe removed from theindustry. Obviously, further political issues arise when power and law come into play!

"If someone has been convicted of a serious wildlife offence they have absolutely zero business working in the hunting/outfitting industry.

Just my personal opinion."

I agree with Carl on this one.

I would consider the nature of the offence. Was it a stupid mistake or was there an obvious attempt to profit from the resource?

I think there is a big difference between a 'fail to cancel species licence' conviction versus guiding without a licence or hunt wildlife during closed season, hunt with a light, etc

I would consider the nature of the offence. Was it a stupid mistake or was there an obvious attempt to profit from the resource?
    Definitely consider the nature of the offence...

eg.. The C. Bighorn that was poached out of the farmers field this year... I would consider that serious and when caught a very clear message should be sent...

Carl

WoodOx Guest

Carl

Did anything come of that poaching?
    Do u still have picturesof the Ram poached - or was it someone else on the forum..

My brother and I got elk draws in 2001 for cr and conuma. We meet up with this fellow how had an elk tag also for cr. He seem of good sorts and we shared info. A few days later, this fellow shot an elk with his bow and we helped along with other people looking for the elk,it was never recovered.

He took this loss real hard I guess and cross the line shooting an 6x6 elk with a rifle and making it look like an arrow shot it , ( He had never watch forensic files tv show). The Co's were informed and were waiting for him when he came out of the bush with elk, he was charged with poaching.

He seemed like a nice guy, but unfortunately I would never hunt with him or use his services as guide/outfitter.
    Todd