Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compound From a Tree Stand

Re: Compound From a Tree Stand

Best way to be comfortable shooting from a stand is practice. Set up your stand and a target before hunting season and shoot from it.

I set my stands as low as 12ft and a max of 25ft no need to head for the sky. Set your stand so you don't solute your self. Have another tree behind you or don't go crazy cutting tree limbs.

Yes, you can hunt a stand right away. I have had success setting stands in the morning and hunting them that afternoon

Great discussion! My issue with height is that I never find island blacktails is places with a steady one directional breeze or wind. They are always in wind bowls with the wind going all over the place directionally. I would like to be up 20 feet but in all honesty I'm a bit nervouse of that.
    Having read all the previouse comments I'll shoot for 16 or so feet. This will be my first tree stand gig so we'll see. It also depends on the tree which will be an alder so it will not be cut and dry placement like up a straight fir.

Just to update in case anyone is paying attention, I have 2 stands up. On location on the field I have seen nothing there foe five nights. And on I put in the forest I always spook a deer when I am lowering my bow and back pack just after I can't see my pins any more. What's up with that. When will they move in the light?

Simple math......
    1 (Stand I have in forest has deer coming by regularly)
    + 1 (darned deer come by too late to shoot)
    = 2 (Move stand to where I can catch them earlier)
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"