Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rackmastr and Rhyno Double-Down on Mountain Goat

Rackmastr and Rhyno Double-Down on Mountain Goat

We had been planning this hunt for a while, and both applied seperatly for an LEH. Both Rhyno and I had hunted this zone before and we knew the odds of finding a couple decent goats was pretty good. We both drew, and plans were made for the past weekend. We wanted to plan a weekend late enough in the season for good haired up billies but also wanted to make sure we'd have good access. A buddy from Calgary (Duk Dog) came out to help out which made for a great addition as well.

Saturday morning we left the house at about 530 AM and headed out towards the zone. We dropped the camper and got a few things organized for the day. The 'plan' was to find some goats from down low and make a play on them that day. Well, those plans didnt work out as we ended up with a really low cloud cover that wouldnt lift. We considered hiking up blind and hunting but decided since we had 3 days that we'd wait it out and scout some country and make a big play the next day. We put on some miles, enjoyed some laughs, glassed a ton of cool country, and managed to shoot a few grouse along the way. Also managed to miss a few as well...

That evening, we spotted what looked like a good billy up high on the one mountain. He had big dark marks on him and we could glass and see that his glands were swollen right up. We also found a handful of other goats on another mountain near camp which had a few billies in it. Plans were made and we decided that we'd go up after the solo goat the following morning.

Sunday morning was an amazing sunrise and we had high hopes. We spotted the billy from the truck and began the 4000+ ft of elevation hike towards him. About 4 hours later we were eye to eye with a nanny and kid, skirting along the ridges and slides peaking over each ridge to find where the lone billy was. We had began to talk about the fact that the goat may have made it over the top or was hiding in a little ridge and we scoured the country. I ran my binos across the one ridgeline one more time and found him. He was looking at us and standing. A quick judge told me that this goat was mature and his cape looked amazing. Best of all, he was in a great spot for a shot. I laid down, the camcorder was rolling, and I made a good 238 yard shot on him. He took a few steps and was obviously quite 'sick' but one extra shot anchored him solid.

After approaching, I was overwhelmed with just how amazing his cape and hide were, and was happily surprised that he was an older goat. I aged him at 7 years for sure, and possibly 8 years. I've never been in a more amazing place for pics and was so happy to share it with two awesome hunting friends. We packed him up and headed down, arriving at the truck about 25 minutes after dark. A Kraken rum back at camp has never tasted so good!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rackmastr and Rhyno Double-Down on Mountain Goat

very nice.

Rhyno was up next.....and up he was! Making coffee after a few rum and beer the night before, anticipation level was high yet again to get up and try and fill his tag. We were sore and worn out from the hard day earlier, but we had located a billy way up high on a different mountain that looked like he was in a spot we could make a play on him. Duk Dog had to return to Calgary so it would just be Rhyno and myself that day. We parted ways and loaded the packs for the hike.

Another 4000ft of fun elevation of alders, shale, dogwood, and creeks and we were back up near the top. Picking apart piece by piece the mountainside we had left the billy on. I glassed as we walked and spotted him behind some old burned trees. We confirmed he was a billy and then found a position that we could make a good shot from. I got behind the camcorder and provided a range for Rhyno. The billy was feeding at 276 yards and had no idea we were there. All the time in the world to find a position to get comfy for a shot.

Rhyno settled in, settled his nerves and then made a beautiful shot on his goat across the valley. The goat tumbled in some grass and burned timber before coming to rest near a snow pile. We made our way over and found an amazingly haired up and wooly billy. What an amazing spot for pics yet again! We shared some congrats, took a pile more pics and then caped the billy and headed down.

Two longs days, two awesome goats to show for it. Over 8000ft of elevation and some great memories!!!

Nice billies!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Cool! Lots of hard work pays off. Congrats.

Very nice and you are right!!! Awesome place for pics.....man did they turn out well in that setting!!!

Awesome story and exceptional pictures. Great stuff, RM! Sure looks like you're loving every minute of moving to BC!
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Awesome!!!
    It's stories and pics like these that really make he hate my job......but I do enjoy reading them!

Congrats! Some excellent pics and poses!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

2 very nice goats. Congratulations. Sure is good when they don't take a header off a cliff and get smashed up.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....