Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: losing Ruffed grouse

Re: losing Ruffed grouse

Had to happen sooner or later... shot a ruffed the other day off the road and it flew 20 ft up into a tree and expired on the branch. Tree was too big to shake and too small to climb. I managed to make my way up it enough to dislodge the bird with a long stick.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

I shot one on the Montieth fsr this year, the bird dropped and i saw no more movement. I went up to the spot where i saw it drop and it was nowhere in sight. After a few mintutes of looking I saw a it's tail feathers sticking out of a 6" hole in the ground. Trust your gut when you think you downed one, they can hide very well.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

I shot one on Friday, jumped out of the truck and tip toe'd toward him. He started to move like he was getting ready to fly off. I take the shot and he flies straight up in the air. Im standing in the middle of the road thinking "shit!" my only shot is to send pellets straight down the road;
    so the bird flies to where he thinks there is cover, but the small cut of trees was only 6 or 7 feet deep off the road. The bird lands in this grass land area and I see him land. I head to where it was and start looking. Where the hell is it???
    I look between my feet, and the rock is actually the bird!
    Whammmo with the buttstock to his head.
    not the normal grouse hunt, but got er done!
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts