Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing Ruffed grouse

Re: losing Ruffed grouse

I also lost a grouse this year from a 20 foot shot from a branch. It fell into steep, very rooty undergrowth. We looked for an hour, digging beside root hollows, using the machete to clear branches, moving dead wood etc., no luck! We could not believe it. Found a 5 point elk shed from last year in the process. We haven't lost one since. Speed is the key.....get to the grouse instantly. I assumed that from the head shot and a fall straight down that I could do like you, put the safety on, put the 22 in the truck and pick up the grouse......never again. Shoot and run to the spot as quick as safely possible and if this is not possible, I will not shoot. This was my first year hunting grouse and boy did I learn more than I thought possible.

Just lost one this weekend. First time in a number of years, that I remember. Two flushed up in front of me and had just made it to the far side of a screen of fir saplings and I blazed away, dropping one. Another pair came up and I missed the easy second shot. I started to crash through the thick brush to find my bird, and heard fluttering. Not the 'death' flutter, but the "I'm outta here - wait, I can't fly!" fluttering. Obviously I had just winged the bird. I cleared the first line of brush to be confronted by a nightmare of dead pine blowdown. I heard some rustling on the far side of the pile, about 20m away. By the time I fought through the mess, there was no sign of the bird. I looked around for 10 minutes but no luck. A dog probably would have tracked it down in short order, but I just couldn't find it. Not sure if it hunkered down & hid very well, or ran out the other side. some predator will have an easy meal

I've never used dogs, never lost a grouse. Go right for it, quickly. Been a few times that I walked past a dead grouse before finding it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Jetboatjim and i were trolling for moose the other weekend and stumbled upon some grouse.
    He took a rock and banged one for the taxidermist.
    Didn't get away
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I've seen a few find a hole to die in nearby when hit by either too open a choke or #7 1/2 shot...in an unpressured area where you're
    getting close to them use an open choke, but if they're getting skittish at a good distance and you have longer shots then switch to modified choke. I've always used #6 shot instead of #7 1/2 for two reasons...one is the larger #6 shot is easier to find and remove, and the important reason is, on longer shots especially, the #6 shot carries more energy and penetrates better than the smaller shot. This translates directly into more grouse that die where they're shot or move very little, and hardly any that get away and hide. In over 30 years of shooting hundreds of grouse, I've had two get away on me...one in cracks in a rock face, and one down a steep ravine. Carry heavier loads of #6 shot and you'll hammer the wanna-be Houdinis...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

I love shooting, and eating grouse! My new pound rescue dog ain't hunting stock, but he listen well and comes when I call so he stays close. So far he's flushed a few that I got with my new to me combo gun. He is a little confused about searching after the shot, but made progress yesterday.

like they say, get to them quick and really zero I. On where they fell, they won't be far!

One time I shot six in one go, took 45 minutes to find the last two!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

This season during a few empty handed hunting trips I shot 2 grouse with a .22 and lost both of them, it was very demoralizing and I felt bad for losing the poor buggers - But scavengers gotta eat too I guess.

Then this last trip I instantly dropped every small game animal I shot at!

Turned out the secret was the ammo we were using, my dad had purchased some garbage "silent" rounds that just flew right through everything, if it ever hit it at all. We switched out to rounds with a tiny dimple at the end of the bullet and center of mass shots took down all the small game on the spot with surprisingly little to no damage to the meat.

Knowing how aggressive a wounded grouse can be, I always try and anchor them with my first shot. It's just too scary going into the thick stuff after them.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by DarekG View Post
    This season during a few empty handed hunting trips I shot 2 grouse with a .22 and lost both of them, it was very demoralizing and I felt bad for losing the poor buggers - But scavengers gotta eat too I guess.

Then this last trip I instantly dropped every small game animal I shot at!

Turned out the secret was the ammo we were using, my dad had purchased some garbage "silent" rounds that just flew right through everything, if it ever hit it at all. We switched out to rounds with a tiny dimple at the end of the bullet and center of mass shots took down all the small game on the spot with surprisingly little to no damage to the meat.
    Hollow points are the only way to go. The cheap lead round nose are for plinkin' cans and targets.