Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing Ruffed grouse

Re: losing Ruffed grouse

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Ya put the shotgun bead right on top of there head ... no more running
    X2 this is why I switched to .410 from .22 ....haven't lost a grouse since and very few buckshot in body ...

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

it can happen sometimes, but is still very frustrating. Use a shotgun. bring a dog (any dog!) if possible. try to reach the bird, or at least zero in on the exact location, while it's still fluttering. as others have said, check for holes, under roots, rocks, anywhere. look very carefully, since even when lying stone dead in the open, they can blend in with the surroundings very well. good luck!

I can identify with that, I lost 3 grouse on one weekend 2 weeks ago. It was very frustrating. 2 were ruffed and one was a blue. I find that with spruce grouse, any kind of a hit puts them down on the spot. That's not true of Ruffed grouse. I was going to start the same thread but you beat me to it. All 3 were fatal hits but all 3 flew away. I spent a looonnnng time looking and didn't find them. Yes a dog would help but I was deer hunting at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver1234 View Post
    Hey everyone, fairly new to grouse hunting, actually my second season. Hunting out of region 2...anyway I have had some success but my only problem is I have lost a couple. Walking along a trail I spotted one flushed it to a tree and shot it right out of the tree, it was fluttering around like crazy on the ground...a definite hit. But by the time I put my gun down and safety on to hike down the embankment I could not find the grouse anywhere I looked for like 30 minutes and this happened twice...has this ever happened to anyone else? Thanks for your time

People who shoot at birds without dogs should be flogged! It is completely unethical - no matter which way you try and defend it!
    Last edited by Ranger95; 11-11-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger95 View Post
    People who shoot at birds without dogs should be flogged! It is completely unethical - no matter which way you try and defend it!
    Now people need to have a dog for grouse hunting? Get over yourself! Nothing wrong headshots with a 22 or shotgun.

Move along troll
    Blacktail Nut

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver1234 View Post
    Hey everyone, fairly new to grouse hunting, actually my second season. Hunting out of region 2...anyway I have had some success but my only problem is I have lost a couple. Walking along a trail I spotted one flushed it to a tree and shot it right out of the tree, it was fluttering around like crazy on the ground...a definite hit. But by the time I put my gun down and safety on to hike down the embankment I could not find the grouse anywhere I looked for like 30 minutes and this happened twice...has this ever happened to anyone else? Thanks for your time
    Nope I shoot over dogs with a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by fearnodeer View Post
    It happens to a lot of us that don't have dogs, would take more than a lost grouse for me to get a dog.
    I'm sorry for you.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 11-12-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I thought they punted you Kudu!! K

move quickly to the bird once it is down and fluttering. often they will go into the nearest depression or under something like a log, bush or hollow. ruffed grouse can be extremely difficult to spot, even out in the open, a dead grouse blends in perfectly with the forest floor.
    i avoid shots that would have the bird fall into heavy undergrowth. it's a tough choice to make, but it's ethical.
    both guns, a .22 or a shotgun, have their advantages, and should be a personal preference. try both, see what you like better.
    dogs can be a great help, but aren't necessary. especially if you don't have one.
    put in a good effort searching, but don't beat yourself up if you fail to find one. it happens to everybody.
    being quick to the kill is the best method.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I thought they punted you Kudu!! K
    whats the mater f350 - do you stil wet your bed at night dreaming of the slapping kudu gave you?. he really is not hiding behind every bush!