Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Sob Story or hit the Coke?

Harrison Sob Story or hit the Coke?

Okay. Here goes with my sob story.
    My oldest hunting buddy, the one who got me into Fall fever, recently (September) had knee surgery. Consequently he has not been able to make it out on any of my recent trips. Not that I had any success any how what with the warm weather, etc. Regardless, he texted me a few days ago and said he thinks he could be good for a day hunt. I had been thinking about heading up the Coke but given his recent surgery he's thinking something more like around Harrison. I've never really hunted blacktails though and so have no idea as to where. All I've read in here is that they like to be up high in nasty, thick stuff and prefer moving in really krappy weather. All of which makes me think they might also not be ideal given his present situation.
    As I type this I realize he probably isn't really thinking about the odds of success but rather just about getting out of the house.
    So, what are your thoughts as to where we would most likely have success?
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Harrison Sob Story or hit the Coke?

Lots more to see up the Coq. Harrison isn't really a road hunting area if you mean to increase your odds. A fellow with a bum knee, would do better up the Coq IMHO
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Up the Coq, glassing the cuts and clearings...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Harrison is pretty steep isn't it?
    easier to push his wheelchair up the coq.

Your quandary reminds me of the time I was living in Cranbrook and had some broken bones in my foot. I had a cast on so hunting was out of the question, not. A hunting partner said heck we can go out road hunting down in the Flathead and maybe pick up an elk. Knowing the chance of me ever getting an elk that way I was zero I went anyways as it was good weather and some time out of the apartment. Well we're driving down an old road and a couple cows run across right in front of us followed by a small bull. Brakes on, he yells there is your bull which by then had stopped 60 feet off the road. Well try getting out of a Dodge power wagon, take a gun, load, hop around to get a shooting position all while not using crutches. We both started to laugh, the elk still standing there saying "what you goofs up to" then he popped into the timber. I got no shot but we both laughed so hard we almost wet our pants. Great trip it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    Harrison is pretty steep isn't it?
    easier to push his wheelchair up the coq.
    It is pretty steep and nasty.

Lol yea Harrison is tough hunting.....im in good shape and it takes its toll

I'd forget about Harrison for now, and hit the Cog5, drive to at least Exit 240, or then at Coldwater crick, Exit 256, chose Brookmere way or Murray Lake way. Brookmere way is good to get into Reg 8.
    Murray way you can drive around looking and get some walking in to if you want.
    Jel -- Exit 240 goes into Murray, it's not paved it's a back road affair, meets up at Exit 256 also if you drive by the lake. Good luck either way hope buddy get's better

Way to revive a year old post lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Way to revive a year old post lol
    i wonder if sapper is back to full health for this year