Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into buying an atv

Re: Looking into buying an atv

Once You ride independent suspension , that will make the difference.

I love my Can Am 800xt

Quote Originally Posted by nuadixion View Post
    honda - pure and simple technology that rarely fails but is easy to service/fix
    x1000.....

I bought a new "2013" Kodiak 450 this past spring. Has more then enough power for anything I need. Aside from a few cosmetic changes, the engine/suspension hasn't changed in many years. Probably because it works. As stated already, fits nicely in a 6'6" box with the tailgate closes and pleanty of clearance for ramps to slide underneath. Not the EPS model, but got it for well under $7k brand new. I also like the fact that they have steel racks that can easily handle the load they advertise. I looked at Polaris and Arctic Cats and to be frank, they looked very cheaply made. I also looked at the Hondas, and if you are after a machine meant to work, they are also a good option IMO

IMO,

Honda is nowhere near as bullet-proof in the ATV world as it is in the car/motorcycle world - before you buy a Honda do a LOT of research on what type of transmission they are using and what the issues are with it. I've never met a Honda owner who didn't have tranny problems (or quirks). This doesn't necessarily make them unrideable (can't shift unless at lowest idle speed, need to rock bike to get it in gear, etc.)

The smaller bikes have less ground clearance. If you go where other quads go, you have a good chance of getting high centred because everyone else is running super-aggressive after market tires and chewing the crap out of the trails. You may find yourself wanting to go +1 on tire size on a 450 quad which then could lead to power issues.

If you're like me, and like to go on long exploring trips, pay attention to fuel economy. It's almost impossible to find numbers so you have to do your research. One thing is that the CVT transmissions, because they keep it in the power band, tend to get poorer fuel economy than a regular transmission when bombing down a logging road. The "normal" tranny lets you run a high gear/low RPMS when bombing down that logging road (amusingly fuel efficiency is where Honda's shine).

I really like my 2008 Yamaha 550, but it has some of the worst high-speed fuel efficiency (e.g. logging roads) of any similar sized bike. Put it on a trail when your 10km/h and under though and it is more similar to other bikes and IMO more reliable and capable.

I'd also look at Suzuki's - seriously underrated bike that, if you can get them for a deal, are well worth it.

Me.

buy the 420 honda with independant or solid axle, power steering, bullet proof, good on gas and light, nimble and quick for your purpose. check with venom sports in kelowna or edson, alberta for the best deal, you will love it, good tranny, no belts, have fun!

^ X2 on the 420efi Honda with power-steering. Nice rigs

I'd go honda if I had to do it again, and I own a 07 brute force 650.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    IMO,

Honda is nowhere near as bullet-proof in the ATV world as it is in the car/motorcycle world - before you buy a Honda do a LOT of research on what type of transmission they are using and what the issues are with it. I've never met a Honda owner who didn't have tranny problems (or quirks). This doesn't necessarily make them un-rideable (can't shift unless at lowest idle speed, need to rock bike to get it in gear, etc.)
    The Honda models with 'ES' (electric shift) have had issues concerning underwater operation and neglect. This is usually not an issue with preventative maintenance, and common sense.
    The 'S' or 'FM' (manual foot shift) models are truly bulletproof. Independent rear suspension is nice for just riding, but the solid rear differential is the one to get if you want to load a mule deer on the back.
    Manual foot shift, solid rear differential, possibly power steering, and you've got yourself a workhorse ......

The Honda Rancher 420 EPS is another option instead of the Yamaha Grizzly 450, yes, and it IS reliable and all that, but it has a solid rear axle. Good for putting a buck on the back, yes, but not good for riding at other times, versus IRS. With an IRS quad you can crank up the preload adjustment on the shocks when you go hunting, so you have a stiff platform for getting a deer out, and then loosen the pre-load for comfortable recreational riding or scouting. Solid rear axle quads are like riding a buckboard! I'm not sure if it even has front diff lock, either?
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!