Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into buying an atv

Re: Looking into buying an atv

I have a 99 Honda Foreman with the electronic shift. 9000 k's and still ticking. Pretty good on fuel and goes all over the place from deep loon $hit to steep climbing. While it will not keep up to the go like heck set as they tear down logging roads and trails it excels at getting me into where I want to be and later hauling out what I killed. I have not had any issues with ground clearance although I do run a very aggressive set of tires on it. I would certainly buy another and I understand Honda still makes the Foreman line.

My second is a 06 Polaris 800 2 up. Good machine, actually more power than one needs. Great climber and good all around. The independent suspension makes it easier to drive all day compared to the Honda with the solid rear axle. No issues with it either.

Of the two I think I trust the Honda more. It is a basic, economical, tough, reliable machine.

I rented quads for a number of years before buying one, including: Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bombardier, and Arctic Cat. Yamaha is the only machine I have used that stranded me - twice! I personally would never touch one. Having said that it may have been my bad luck. Apart from those cheap Canadian Tire ones I think most of them are pretty good and it comes down to your preferences and quality of your local dealerships.

Wow thanks for all the replies folks! Lots of very good advice here! Sounds like honda is the winner with the Grizz/Kodiak coming in a close second. I'll probably focus my research on those two. And thanks for the tip about avoiding the kamloops dealerships, I'll be sure to look out of town!

Ask a quad mechanic what's a reliable quad. My friend did and Honda will pop up a lot.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    And thanks for the tip about avoiding the kamloops dealerships, I'll be sure to look out of town!
    I can only comment on the yamaha dealer. No idea how the Honda dealer in town compares to others.

Bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Ride a yamaha with eps you will be impressed!

When I bought last May it came down to Honda 500 Rubicon and Yamaha 450 Kodiak.

Honda - SRA, carb, sealed drum brake in the back, 4-speed automatic tranny
    Yamaha - IRS, carb, CVT

Both have EPS (a must have item). I ended up with the Honda because I like the tranny. IRS is nice but many people like SRA too. It depends on what kind of riding you do.

You can still buy 2013s and the occational 2012 new for a significant discount. They don't change. My '08 Kawasaki 650 Brute Force was unchanged from 2005 - 2012. Newer ones might be the same too.

I have owned honda quads since 1989 in total my family (including uncles,aunts,cousins) own over 20 Honda quads at this time one as old as 1984 and as new as some 2012's. We have never had any major break downs with them as there built to last. I ride a Rubicon 500 and love it. Used it to pull a few moose out of the bush with no problem. If your looking at a honda id go with either the Rubicon or Foreman stay away from the Rincon if your using it for hunting as it is more of a sport 4x4 not really meant for slow rough crawling or towing

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    The manual shift, solid rear axle quads work well for pulling/carrying gear/game ......

The IRS quads have higher towing and cargo capacities than the solids.

Just compare the Polaris IRS and Honda Solid Axle 500 class specs:

Honda front 66 lbs, rear 133 lbs, towing 850 lbs

Polaris front 90 lbs, rear 180 lbs, towing 1,225 lbs

IRS kicks butt on carrying/towing big loads. IRS doesn't kick you in the butt like a solid axle when you hit a rough trail, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

i see i have lots to learn about quads, good info here though. will look into the eps for sure. quad will be used for doubling a bit, as the lady and myself can only afford one (this year anyways!) dont plan on hauling too much though, the occasional deer hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    i see i have lots to learn about quads, good info here though. will look into the eps for sure. quad will be used for doubling a bit, as the lady and myself can only afford one (this year anyways!) dont plan on hauling too much though, the occasional deer hopefully!
    I'd buy a utility 2-up. If you're even doing a bit of doubling, it's the way to go, especially with the new quad regulations that will likely crack down on doubling.

Check these out, I've read some good reviews on them: http://www.polaris.com/en-ca/atv-qua...s-bright-white
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !