Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tatuk Moose

Tatuk Moose

Got back last weekend from a two trip hunt, but I've been pretty busy, so slow to post. We had success near Tatuk Lake.

I met buddies in Kamloops Friday afternoon and we drove north Saturday, staying at a cabin at Tatuk Lake Resort. Nothing fancy there, but a good base.

We left the highway at Quesnel and drove the Blackwater road to Pelican/Chilako to get to Tatuk. Surprisingly we saw nothing other than two small black bears on the drive in, but as we approached Tatuk we ran across some guys who had just gotten a bull near the road.

Sunday was spent getting the lay of the land. It was very warm, as everyone knows. When's the last time bugs were a problem while October moose hunting? Anyway, Monday afternoon we were working deactivated roads on quads to find moose. I as on one road and my partner was on another. Mine had lots of sign, but at the top rant through 20 year old+ replanting, so not lots of vis. I was coming back down when I heard a huge crash. I stopped the quad, thinking "That's a moose".

I then heard a shot and a really loud bull grunt.

I continued down and ran into my partner ripping up the deactivated road I was on. Bull down! I asked how far the shot was and he said "About 100 yards". Good job.

We went up his road and I surveyed the scene. He was being humble. What happened was that he rolled down a spur to the end, got off the quad, and started walking a bit. He saw sign, and strolled down the ridge a bit. Looking across the cut and through the trees he spied a little pothole lake, and on the other side of the lake a bull. One 7 mm through and through. He held at the top of the bull's back and got him just under the spine. Like I say, he was being humble claiming 100 yds. He's a good shot and held high just the right amount for a shot we later ranged at 340 yds. He was on the ridge across the lake in the picture over my right shoulder.

Like they say, try to get off roads and near water. Every time we bushwhacked across a cut and through trees to water we found sign.

We gutted him and packed out a front and rear quarter on out backs, then found a way to get a quad down there. 450 lbs on the hook at the meat cutters.

One question: the bull had just come out of the water and was a bit wet and muddy. After gutting him both our hands swelled up a bit from what looked like bug bites. Just our hands. Someone mentioned it could be some sort of water borne mites. The moose itself looked healthy as could be. Any ideas?

Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tatuk Moose

good times.
    congrats to you guys.

no idea about the swelling .

It seems that if a beaver is in the same water where the mud comes from you are likely to get a reaction of some kind. A couple of times while trapping I had my hands in that type of mud where there were beavers and my finger swelled up and had a rash another time. Good job on the moose, sounds like you worked for it.

Awesome! Heading up Saturday with 2 Bull draws. Hopefully we will do as good! Cheers, I.I.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Hi Rob, congratulations again on a job well done! We were your neighbors at Tatuk resort but, unfortunately went home without a moose. It was a real pleasure to meet your group. Good luck with the rest of your season.
    Colleen, Denis, Sophie.

Nice job! We just got back from Lintz/Tagai/Tucker Lake area, saw 1 cow. Nobody was seeing anything.

We've had the same thing with the hands swelling up, it's from the biting black flies. They seem to come out when gutting the animal and you don't notice it as you're so busy pulling out guts and arseholes.

Yes I would agree and say its black flies , there terrible this year. It's always a relief when you can get a quad close to the kill Congrats on the bull.
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!

Agree on the black flies. Had one bite my hunting partner on the lips two weeks ago while dressing a moose and his face swelled up like Wil Smiths in the movie "Hitch". Made for some good ribbings for the next while
    I didnt even know I knew how to ninja roll...but its my new move in a pinch....

but if anyone could point me in the right direction for dirty hookers, it would be much appreciated. And possibly a lawyer

cyalatte and others have it right. I had the same experience when gutting a moose near Tatuk several years ago. Didn't feel the bites to my arms, but ended up needing antihistamine and Calamine lotion big time. Nice moose and a great picture. Congrats!