Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting off the road?

Re: Getting off the road?

I think Bing satellite maps are more up to date?

Obviously deer sign to know if there's anything in the area. But other than that, are you looking for clearings or meadows to set up in and watch? Are you walking through the thick bush trying to see/hear something before it bolts? When you are walking ridges, are you literally walking along a ridge and trying to spot something in the trees on either side? Is it all about finding vantage points, sitting and watching, or more about pounding through the thick stuff until you run into something?
    When I hike the bush I look for deer trails. Sign is good if it is current. I take note of old sign but it is not relevant to your current hunt. When I go into a new area I am mainly looking for deer trails and exploring their network. The more trails there are the better. If you get into a spot where they are crossing everywhere then you are getting right into their homes.

As for where to start looking. Both Google and Bing are using satellite images from other providers. Either one can have the latest map of a region so check them both. One good trick is to zoom waaaay out and see how the map changes. The farther out images are usually updated more often. What I look for is any edge habitat and broken canopy. Generally if the canopy of the forest looks even on the satellite images then it is of little interest to me. Anything that opens the canopy can be a good potential source for food. This can be natural meadows, scree slopes, alpine meadows, power lines, clear cuts, rivers, FSR's, suburbs, farms, etc... anything that provides good edge habitat. Even if the canopy looks "mottled" then there are probably a lot of smaller openings which can give deer good feed. Once I pin point an area of interest I head in there and look for deer trails and sign. Once I find trails I let them be my guide.

In my experience it takes a while to learn an area... years even, depending how often you can get out to it. More importantly it takes a while to learn how to hunt that area. This time compacts as you become a more experienced hunter. I would not expect to pull deer out of an area that you don't know well, but be happy if you do.

Anyway, long story short, I went into an area that I've never scouted other than topographic maps/google earth and found mule deer bedding areas, droppings, and tracks in 4 out of 4 places that I hit up. 2 (maybe 1) out of 4 shows sign of mule buck tracks (huge, most likely a buck) and mule buck droppings (huge). I think that was fairly promising but I'm missing them by a day or a week.
    You are probably not missing them by a day or a week. They are there, letting you walk right on by. Some deer will only spook if you are within 10 yards, others will flee if you come within 50 yards. Yet others will let you go right on by and sneak out the back door. Many more will sneak out ahead of you especially if they catch your wind. Deer are sneaky! But the deer are there if you are finding current sign, you just haven't found them (it takes very little for them to hide in if they are bedded down). Also be careful some areas are night time beds. This is where they lay down at night and chew the cud. Day time beds will usually offer them more security.
    Last edited by brian; 10-24-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Also, when you are walking in the thicker bush, keep in mind how the animals move. A deer seldom walks non stop from point a to point b. So when the animals (with much better hearing than you) hear a non stop walker, it is foreign to them. And will make them either freeze and watch, or bolt. Try walking slower and with only a few steps at a time then stop look listen and repeat. You'll see more. and spook less.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by BearStump View Post
    Also, when you are walking in the thicker bush, keep in mind how the animals move. A deer seldom walks non stop from point a to point b. So when the animals (with much better hearing than you) hear a non stop walker, it is foreign to them. And will make them either freeze and watch, or bolt. Try walking slower and with only a few steps at a time then stop look listen and repeat. You'll see more. and spook less.
    very good tip, thats one i forget all the time.
    No Quarter

I still forget to do that all the time too.
    life is so hectic and always go go go I often forget to relax when I get out hunting and slooooowwww down the pace to a fricken crawl.
    --John Wayne

Here's a quick story from my first hunting trip. It was the first week of November. We went up to a buddies family cabin in some serious steep terrain. We hiked all day not knowing what we were doing. We had spotted a couple does and sat and watched them (not knowing rut was just ramping up) then kept going(rookies). Hiked until just before dark. Tired, hungry discouraged we had given up hope and started getting goofy throwing rocks and laughing like idiots. We're just about to the road and I like over to my right and there standing is the biggest deer I've ever seen. A beautiful buck not 15 yards away. Scared the crap out of me! By the time I could even think he bolted with two does in tow and left only memories and learning experiences. It still haunts me to this day but it's constant reminder to slow down and until there's no more shooting light to always be prepared and diligent because you never know.
    "The Bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built before then."

-Richard "Dick" Proenekke

"Homeboy, you're gonna wish one day
    You were sittin' on the gate of a truck by the lake
    With your high school flame on one side
    Ice cold beer on the other"

-Eric Church

lol. That sounds typical when you stop paying attention. Happened to me too. start talking louder and walking faster at mid day after seeing nothing all morning and bump two huge 4 point bucks from their beds not 10 feet from the trail we were on. bound bound bound and they're gone. Before I could even get my rifle up.
    --John Wayne

Great tips and stories guys! Great description of using the satellite images too brian thanks for that.

It looks like I'll be stuck in camp for the rest of any buck season so I'll be out there looking for a 4 point in early Nov. Hoping the bucks are on the does I found a couple of weeks ago by then, and maybe a little snow as well. I'm loving living in Kamloops and really looking forward to exploring more of the area!