Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Hunting

Re: Wolf Hunting

Aparantly although it's legal to bait wolves, it's not legal to transport bait. Anyone else know of this?

Depends what you are calling bait. Picking up a road kill ? or scraps from a butcher ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Cow moose calling works great. I was just in 5-02 moose hunting and everytime a threw out a call, the coyotes would yip and the wolves would howl. I would leave my seated location, walk 500 yards away, let out a howl, and they would all answer back from exactly where I had been sitting before. If you call, they will come right to you.

100% legal to transport bait- butchering scraps etc

Not legal to pick up road kill for bait, unless you have a permit or are a trapper
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Try adams lake area for wolves seen hundreds of wolf tracks up there iver the last 4 days

Tthanks for the tips guys. Okay here is the rough strategy I have decided on based on your replies.

-find an area with good levels of wolf sign
    -place a pile of bait in the middle of a clearing
    -conceal myself with the wind in my favour and sit tight, calling periodically

Wait for it to ice over on a lake, cut a hole in the ice so water pops up. Put bait around hole so it gets frozen in place.

Stops scavengers and dogs/cats stealing it, makes them work for it, and then hang around longer.

Put it within 100 yards of shore- Wolves are generally nervous in the open, and closer to shore, the more comfortable they are.

Sit opposite shore, against trees. Watch wind.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

Wolves are smart. I was in 5-04 recently talking to a local rancher. He said if you are going to try and bait wolves you have to be carefull handling the bait as they can smell your scent on it and they wont touch it. Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Wolves are smart. I was in 5-04 recently talking to a local rancher. He said if you are going to try and bait wolves you have to be carefull handling the bait as they can smell your scent on it and they wont touch it. Any truth to this?
    Yes that is true in most cases

Always a good idea to wear gloves when handling bait, and wolves.

Nasty critters