Thread: Moose Ribs:

Moose Ribs:

Should I cook em up like short ribs... Mirepoix, braised, etc. Or like spare ribs with a bbq sauce?

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Moose Ribs:

Try both ways!!!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Slow cooked for at least 6 hours then BBQ to finish them off with a bit of sticky grilled goodness. My recipe involves a lot of strong coffee at the start and a lot of honey and the end.

Cooked the right way elk ribs are my favourite game feast.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Last night's moose ribs. Smothered in olive oil, massaged in my sisters trans-continental Rib-Rub. 4hrs at 300 degrees.

Now those look tasty. Are you going to share your sisters rib rub recipe? If not the July/August issue of Outdoor Edge has a recipe for Clay Baked Saucy Moose ribs that sounds great. Going to try that recipe on the ribs from the unicorn me & my son got this fall.

Good choice in beer as well
    Gut Moose?

Hung over the camp fire suspended on three wires.
    The fire went out a few times but it was stoked up at various times over a period of about 30 hours.
    It was hung with the open side down as it was thought the fat would drip off better.
    The fire was kept going for the last five hours. No spices nor sauce was used.
    Five guys were well fed judging by the ear to ear grease stains.

It should be rated as a crime to trim the meat between the ribs for burger, it's too good. Short ribs, rack of ribs, or Fred Flintstone style. Their mouth watering great. All these recipes sound great, some of the best eating your going to have.

What I do is take the rib's, WT or MDeer and cut them in strips about 3 inch's thick, so they look like pork rib's, then painstakingly I cut out as much fat as possible, you can't eat deer fat. Then when we've got both sides cleaned up I mix up my jerky mix and cure, mix them together and put it into a large shaker from some other spice that ran out, shake lots on both sides of the rib's, getting ever little bit covered, and rub it in real good. Then they go into a zip lock bag and into the fridge for about 2 days to cure. I fire up my big smoker with chunks of apple or cherry wood, then the ribs go in for about 5 hours, or until there golden brown, leaning towards black on the edges, and there done! There's really no need to worry about vacuum sealing or zip locking to freeze them, 4 guys drinking can have one complete set of WT deer rib's eaten in less time it took me to type this out! Smoked Jerky Deer rib's have to be eaten hot, cuz if there is any fat in them it turns like candle wax and is very hard to eat, unless the guys are drink'in Whiskey, where as you can leave the ribs on the metal smoker rack and the drunks will try to eat that too! I put the ribs on the meat side down to start with, that way the fat drips out as they cook onto the drip tray, and if fat gets on the rack below it, wipe off with paper towel. So happens we just finished about a hour ago cutting up the young hunter from next doors WT Doe this afternoon, all the ribs are in the fridge curing right now, along with 10 pounds of one hind and back strap for Jerky! Good Luck out there! ( oh crap, this thread was about moose ribs, disregard everything I just said!)

Dry rub......for 24 hours.

Then into the oven. On a rack tented with beer and apple cider vinegar. Tent them so they are on a rack above the liquid.....let em' go for 3-4 hours at 280. They will melt off the bone. I then finish them quickly on the BBQ and they are unreal.