Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got my first buck!!!

Just got my first buck!!!

I JUST SHOT MY FIRST BUCK!!!! I went for a week on vancouver island. Found a few deer but they ended up being super small. A week went by and I went home empty handed and pretty discouraged. I sat out there before the sun came up until sunset. After you do that for a week, I was pretty down. I didn't even really know what I was doing. I literally just found some tracks and sat in some bushes where I thought deer would funnel through the valley. I met Mike, Mick_C on the last day and he showed me how to track, how to look for game trails, where deer bed, eat etc. Wish I met him on the first day but my time was up and I had to go home.

Went back to the mainland where I live. Greybark suggested that I get a hold of Danfloris. So I did and the guy was nice enough to take me around! This guy is a serious BT addict, he's like a deer whisperer and he really knows his stuff. It's really hard to find a hunting mentor to guide you and teach you everything. Before this, I didn't know a single person who hunts. Even harder to find a bow hunter.

So I'm sitting in a blind with Dan. Suddenly a HUGE buck and doe run down the hill. The buck sits behind a tree and his vitals were covered. The doe looks up straight at me. I freeze. Felt like an eternity and the doe just kept on staring and listening with her massive ears. From far away I hear some rustling. A 2 point buck comes walking down the hill. The doe turns around and starts to walk off. My buck starts to follow. Now is my chance! I pull my bow back and and the buck stops dead in his tracks, turns around and stares at me. About 10 seconds later, he turns around to look at the doe. Now is my chance!!!! I let my arrow fly and THWACK. half a second later, the buck turns around and stares at me straight in the eye. Then another half a second later all 3 deer go into a mad dash back into the thick bush. The 2 point and doe go up the open hill and my buck goes to the side of the hill.

Im sitting there, my heart is pounding and I just kinda freeze up for a second. Good thing I didnt freeze or shake when I took my shot. We wait him out. Seemed like an eternity. To be honest i kinda felt bad for him after I shot him. He turned around and looked me straight in the eye. Half an hour goes by and we go look for him.

We find him and he is MASSIVE. He had blood all over his nose. Dan field dresses him, then we called another buddy to come over and give us a hand. We cut him up there and filled our backpacks to bring home.

I can't believe I just got my first buck AHHHHHH! He is finally all cut up and in my freezer. I got about 6 hours of sleep in the last two days. I still had work and it is a long drive for me. He's gonna feed my little sister and I for a year. His head has been sent to Gander taxidermy to get mounted.

Thanks to Mick_C for teaching me how to track on the island, Big Rob for teaching me how to butcher a deer, Danfloris for taking me out on an amazing hunt and showing me hunting spots, I'm gonna remember this first hunt forever. And thanks to Greybark for guiding me through 3D shoots!
    Unfortunately I think I'm addicted to deer now and I can't wait to go out again into the bush again! oh boy oh boy!

So what kind of deer is this again? a mule or a BT?
    I think it's a fallow deer

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/sta...5.jpg.html?o=2

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Just got my first buck!!!

Way to go! That's one heck of a first bt buck. You'll have fun trying to beat that one year after year.

Thumbs up Re: Just got my first buck!!!

A DANDY Blacktail For Sure! And with a Bow?? Serious Congratulations!!

Nice to see all of the help from members and your acknowledgement of the same! KUDOS Gentz!

And... Even though it has been a day or two, you can simply FEEL the Excitement still pounding through your veins reading this story! aYup! Methinks you are now Addicted! LOL!

Welcome to The Obsession!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Holy Crap what a nice first Buck I am jealous, Congrats.

Good job bud, way to keep atter, all it takes is someone to get you on the right path.

That's awesome!! Nog is right, I can just feel the energy in your write up. Congrats!!

good story and a great 1st buck. congrats

Way to go man nice buck! What I've learned is, don't be discouraged if ya don't get something, it takes alot of luck as well as knowledge and skill to bag a deer, right place at the right time, shooting lanes with a clear shot to the vitals etc... just be happy your out there!

That's a ridiculous first BT

That's a massive blacktail! Congrats!!