Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boundary bay duck hunt question

Re: Boundary bay duck hunt question

Not arguing pattern density, it's the retained energy at the distance your talking. Steel looses energy rapidly. I've taken shots at sixty yards using lead because of the increased payload of a ten gauge and it is effective but you lose that with steel. That's just my two bits , been there done that and my twelve is a hell of a lot lighter to carry, that there is no disputing. Good luck when you get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Unethical to you maybe, whats the difference if you wing a bird at 20yards and it flaps around in the water swimming away from you for 400 yards and you can't get it? I highly doubt every single bird you shoot at crumples on the spot and doesn't try to get away,

ethics to every person are different while generally remaining in the same general area they can range from not taking a 50 yards shot to taking a 50 yard shot, I have been duck hunting for years and this high passing shot is quite a common shot, in England this is how they shoot during driven hunts for upland and sometimes less commonly waterfowl but straight up at 60 yards to a fluttering duck is a dead shot in my game they usually drop straight down, not shooting at the ducks moving 1000 miles an hour, just the ones that are slower moving generally pairs or solo bird that may be curious in the spread so slow down to check it out and bang splash, it is actually my favourite shot straight up and long distance, and I drop me like that regularity.

In the end sometimes you lose a duck, however you and I as hunters do everything we can to not let that happen, I am not a new hunter, I am very experienced, I do appreciate your concern I do get these responses quite often about these shots but will continue to make the shots.

Not it trying stir the pot just defending my hunting ways
    I don't shoot or take shots at birds I cant retrieve. Period. I shoot a few ducks a year and I can count on half of one hand how many we don't retrieve. IF you shoot a bird at 20 yards the odds of it getting 400 yards away from you is next to none. You have time to go get it, put another shot into etc. If you wing or cripple a bird coming into the decoys at under 30 yards they will fall towards you and be easy to retrieve, if you pass shoot a bird at 30 yards and wing them, they may sail 100 yards. If you do that to a bird at 60 they could glide half a mile. I don't see to much "fluttering" at 60 yards. Taking shots where there is a high probability of not retrieving them is not ethical and not even debatable to be honest.

You have to wonder, if people keep bringing it up to you, maybe there is something wrong with it? Why not learn how to decoy birds and shoot at ranges where there is a high probability of a kill shot and a retrieve? I don't care if you are Tom knapp, No one kills birds constantly at 60 yards. and yes sometimes you do lose a duck no matter what you do if you hunt enough, but its not ok and shooting at 60 yards is not "doing everything we can to not let that happen".

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I do decoy birds regularity but like the change of jump shooting pass shooting etc and all methods of duck hunting, I will agree there is no ethics in taking random shots at far flying birds if you can't retrieve them but that's not what I'm doing, with the long shots they are all assessed first then a shot is taken if I see it fit, we can agree to disagree though, can't wait to get out and get some nice pintails duckduckduckduckduck

Because of the wide open expanse of land sea and sky at Boundary Bay I find that when I put a stick 35 yards from my shooting position it sure looks close. As I am an inexperienced hunter I am not confident enough to try longer shots. I am usually on the dyke 3 times a week covering a 25 year period. Walking, running, biking and watching and shooting the odd duck. Love the place.

Not complaining going to go everyday now bring the 10 gauge or model 12, reach out for the long shots passing
    10G! Nice!! Maybe I'll see you out there! Heading to westham this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    #2 pellet out of the barrel at 1550 ft per second muzzle velocity will result in the same retained ft. lbs. of energy at thirty yards, forty yards or whatever distance. Gauge or pellet count makes no difference in retained energy. My 12 gauge will cripple birds at sixty yards just as well as a 10 gauge with identical shot size and velocity. Unless you use one of the heavier density non toxic shots that will just retain enough energy at sixty yards your just going to cripple birds. I have a ten and don't use it, there's no advantage.
    You wanna get rid of that " no advantage ten" ??

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    I hope you shoot yours better than the clown that was out front of Westham this afternoon! I guess that he figured he's shooting a 10 he can killem at 70-100yds, didn't work out so well! If ya can't kill birds with a 20 ya sure as hell can't killem with a 10!! K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I hope you shoot yours better than the clown that was out front of Westham this afternoon! I guess that he figured he's shooting a 10 he can killem at 70-100yds, didn't work out so well! If ya can't kill birds with a 20 ya sure as hell can't killem with a 10!! K
    I here ya! But, ya can't argue that the 10 isn't a cool gun?

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

in England this is how they shoot during driven hunts for upland and sometimes less commonly waterfowl but straight up at 60 yards to a fluttering duck is a dead shot in my game they usually drop straight down, not shooting at the ducks moving 1000 miles an hour, just the ones that are slower moving
    youre comparing apples and oranges. Pheasants are so soft they will drop out of the sky if you shout bang loud enough. Ducks are way way tougher as they have thicker feathers and tougher flesh. Also pheasant hunters in England use lead and tight chokes not steel in open ones. I would rate my chances on a pheasant at 60 higher than a duck at 45-50.

Also from my experience it's often easier to knock down the ones flying quickly; they flap harder and expose more vitals and I'm pretty sure there is an effect of off balancing or them when they are flying fast. Just like it's easier to trip over when your running fast compared to walking slowly. Feel free to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post

No, there's enough sky busters out.