Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boundary bay duck hunt question

Re: Boundary bay duck hunt question

Not complaining going to go everyday now bring the 10 gauge or model 12, reach out for the long shots passing

Sweet, skybusting with a 10 gauge will make you super popular!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Not going to make Insane shots at 80yards high passers, just gonna drop them 50-60 yard birds, aware of the sensitivity of the area to bird watchers and will do my best to not upset the local bird watchers, however a 10 gauge is allowed and the sign says it is hunting season so I will legally do everything I can to drop my limits to the best of my ability, not worried if the local antis don't like me, I'm doing what I'm legally allowed to do and I'm doing it tastefully and respectfully

not too worry lorne he will fit in nicely on the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Not going to make Insane shots at 80yards high passers, just gonna drop them 50-60 yard birds, aware of the sensitivity of the area to bird watchers and will do my best to not upset the local bird watchers, however a 10 gauge is allowed and the sign says it is hunting season so I will legally do everything I can to drop my limits to the best of my ability, not worried if the local antis don't like me, I'm doing what I'm legally allowed to do and I'm doing it tastefully and respectfully
    Not trying to be a dick but 50 and 60 yards are high passers and un ethical. how are you going to retrieve your birds from a winged bird at 60 yards that sales 400metres?
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

That's the whole purpose of using a 10 gauge,,,,more pellets in the sky and foot pounds per square inch(per pellet)for a cleaner kill,,,,,,steelpulse could opt out and keep shooting the 12gauge and keep fingers crossed,,,,,,good choice steelpulse,,,and thinking
    Aim small,,miss small

thanks for the lesson. im glad boundary bay is no where near me

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    That's the whole purpose of using a 10 gauge,,,,more pellets in the sky and foot pounds per square inch(per pellet)for a cleaner kill,,,,,,steelpulse could opt out and keep shooting the 12gauge and keep fingers crossed,,,,,,good choice steelpulse,,,and thinking
    #2 pellet out of the barrel at 1550 ft per second muzzle velocity will result in the same retained ft. lbs. of energy at thirty yards, forty yards or whatever distance. Gauge or pellet count makes no difference in retained energy. My 12 gauge will cripple birds at sixty yards just as well as a 10 gauge with identical shot size and velocity. Unless you use one of the heavier density non toxic shots that will just retain enough energy at sixty yards your just going to cripple birds. I have a ten and don't use it, there's no advantage.

Unethical to you maybe, whats the difference if you wing a bird at 20yards and it flaps around in the water swimming away from you for 400 yards and you can't get it? I highly doubt every single bird you shoot at crumples on the spot and doesn't try to get away,

ethics to every person are different while generally remaining in the same general area they can range from not taking a 50 yards shot to taking a 50 yard shot, I have been duck hunting for years and this high passing shot is quite a common shot, in England this is how they shoot during driven hunts for upland and sometimes less commonly waterfowl but straight up at 60 yards to a fluttering duck is a dead shot in my game they usually drop straight down, not shooting at the ducks moving 1000 miles an hour, just the ones that are slower moving generally pairs or solo bird that may be curious in the spread so slow down to check it out and bang splash, it is actually my favourite shot straight up and long distance, and I drop me like that regularity.

In the end sometimes you lose a duck, however you and I as hunters do everything we can to not let that happen, I am not a new hunter, I am very experienced, I do appreciate your concern I do get these responses quite often about these shots but will continue to make the shots.

Not it trying stir the pot just defending my hunting ways

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Not trying to be a dick but 50 and 60 yards are high passers and un ethical. how are you going to retrieve your birds from a winged bird at 60 yards that sales 400metres?

I do have to disagree sir I think the advantage comes not on the energy and such but rather in the larger payload and better spread at longer distances, I will pattern my 10 gauge this week and show a pattern of it at 60 70 yards it's great compared to practically arcing a 12 gauge at this distance haha joking about the 12

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    #2 pellet out of the barrel at 1550 ft per second muzzle velocity will result in the same retained ft. lbs. of energy at thirty yards, forty yards or whatever distance. Gauge or pellet count makes no difference in retained energy. My 12 gauge will cripple birds at sixty yards just as well as a 10 gauge with identical shot size and velocity. Unless you use one of the heavier density non toxic shots that will just retain enough energy at sixty yards your just going to cripple birds. I have a ten and don't use it, there's no advantage.