Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging a blacktail question

Re: Hanging a blacktail question

Cooling game is number 1 in my books but its only been the last 10 years that I quarter and debone as sold as I can, yours is going to be just fine.

I have hung deer, hide on, for longer than 2 days in those temps and as long as there is good air circulation me thinks it should be just fine.

Pics!

Bumping an old thread.

Currently hanging a deer sideways from my headache rack.

4 celsius all day
    Gutted, skinned, game bag immediately
    6 celsius currently. Going to 7 or 8 tomorrow.
    Top and sides tarped

My question is about ice. I've got 3 bags in the game bag with it, but I don't think it'll dry with the melting ice.

Ditch the ice, or leave the ice? Hoping it'll last a couple days till we go home. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by IslandWanderer; 11-12-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I would ditch the ice. You don't want the meat to be wet. just cool. The current temps are fine as long as it has a bit of air around it. I think with the rain that we are now having it is tougher for it to skin over though.

If we’re in the bush and it turns warm, we try to hang it in the shade then light a smoky fire to keep the flies off

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I would ditch the ice. You don't want the meat to be wet. just cool. The current temps are fine as long as it has a bit of air around it. I think with the rain that we are now having it is tougher for it to skin over though.
    Much appreciated. I'm on Texada right now and it's pretty damp and rainy. Hoping the breeze while driving tomorrow will help with getting it to form a skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    If we’re in the bush and it turns warm, we try to hang it in the shade then light a smoky fire to keep the flies off
    Thanks, I haven't seen too many flies, but if they're around I'm sure they'll be landing on my deer. I saw a buddy's deer get fly eggs on it and it ruined it.

Should be good. I got a buck on day 3 of a 5 day hunt and had the deer hanging in the pouring rain for 2 days. Meat was fine when I got home and got him in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Should be good. I got a buck on day 3 of a 5 day hunt and had the deer hanging in the pouring rain for 2 days. Meat was fine when I got home and got him in the freezer.
    Thanks, that makes me feel better about the wet conditions. Luckily we got another today so are headed home.

It’s amazing, even when its frosty at night( best thing you can get for hanging game), the sun comes out and flies appear..we just find a smoky fire holds them off