Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging a blacktail question

Hanging a blacktail question

I need some guidance here. I shot a blacktail buck in Region 2 yesterday morning. I gutted and hung him in my barn before heading off to work. I skinned him in the evening and checked him this morning and the meat seemed fine and was forming a bit of a shell. The temperature got up to about 10 degrees Celsius during the day. My plan is to butcher him myself tomorrow morning. So, by the time I am done processing the buck, it will be 48 hours. Do you think the meat should still be fine? I will cut off anything questionable. There were no flies around the carcass at all.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hanging a blacktail question

Quote Originally Posted by Pablothemagnificent View Post
    I need some guidance here. I shot a blacktail buck in Region 2 yesterday morning. I gutted and hung him in my barn before heading off to work. I skinned him in the evening and checked him this morning and the meat seemed fine and was forming a bit of a shell. The temperature got up to about 10 degrees Celsius during the day. My plan is to butcher him myself tomorrow morning. So, by the time I am done processing the buck, it will be 48 hours. Do you think the meat should still be fine? I will cut off anything questionable. There were no flies around the carcass at all.
    Should be just fine....

It will be perfect. The only thing I would suggest next time is to skin it as soon as possible. It really helps to cool it off quickly. The temps are fine right now to hang for a few days without worry. It is the moisture that is usually the issue and can cause mood to form if left too long or with no air movement.

The shell is just the meat congealing, having a layer dry up over it. If the meat is in the shade, and altogether cooled down to 4 degrees Celsius at a point, to my understanding I think you're fine. I've been told that it can reach higher temperatures during the day, as long as the meat stays in the shade and hits that low temperature at night again.

The meat should definitely be fine. It'll tell you if it isn't through colour, smell, or when you find out, taste.

My question to you is... where'd you go for a buck in region 2?

Lots of places to hunt deer here in region 2. I got a buck here too about a month ago.

As long as you gutted and cooled the animal as fast as possible and kept it VERY clean the whole time it should be fine. 5 Celsius or lower would be better but if it's only been two days it should still be okay. Also as long as it wasn't in direct sunlight and you kept flies off for sure. Those eggs turn into maggots very quickly this time of year. I would definitely get er done ASAP though. I would make certain to get it all done on Saturday for sure. Don't want to waste any of that good meat! Congrats on the buck! Enjoy.

It will be fine. Next time skin it as soon as possible or at least open the hide up along the insides of the legs and open the body cavity up nice and wide to let some heat out faster. Any size to him?

Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    It will be fine. Next time skin it as soon as possible or at least open the hide up along the insides of the legs and open the body cavity up nice and wide to let some heat out faster. Any size to him?
    Thanks for this advice and for the other comments. I spread his legs out pretty well when he was hanging and I put a stick across his rib cage to open his cavity, so I'm confident that the original cooling went well. He was a 2-point with some decent size. Also, there was an east wind which kept a good air flow going through the large open doors of the barn.
    He'll be in the freezer by noon, so I'm hopeful that he won't spoil. It's nice to have the benefit of other's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    My question to you is... where'd you go for a buck in region 2?
    I got him in Region 2-3. Lots of deer around here the last number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablothemagnificent View Post
    Thanks for this advice and for the other comments. I spread his legs out pretty well when he was hanging and I put a stick across his rib cage to open his cavity, so I'm confident that the original cooling went well. He was a 2-point with some decent size. Also, there was an east wind which kept a good air flow going through the large open doors of the barn.
    He'll be in the freezer by noon, so I'm hopeful that he won't spoil. It's nice to have the benefit of other's experience.
    You are golden,no worries.I`v hung em` at + 20,just opened them up wide and stuck a couple bags of ice in them overnight.
    Don`t worry about hanging to tenderize either,no fat in the meat,I do mine the very next day.Had a steak from one I butchered yesterday,hung overnight.Friggen outstanding!Congrats on the buck!
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories