Thread: Tips for Hunting Boundry Bay at low tide

Tips for Hunting Boundry Bay at low tide

Im limited to really only being able to get out on saturdays and sundays, and there are some mornings where i know the tide is going to be as low as possible when im out there. Now ive scouted that area when it was low tide and it seemed like it would almost be impossible to get birds to fly within shooting range. Plus because there is no water around the blinds i wouldnt have much use for the decoys. Am i better off going to ladner marsh, i havnt looked at that area much but it is easier to hunt at low tide? Maybe i just have no idea what im talking about which is quite possible, im quite new to waterfowling but ive done a fair share of scouting a research.

Thoughts?
    "If you're too busy to hunt or fish, you're to busy"
    Proud owner Of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever named "Bell"
    Till the day I die I will always have a Chesapeake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tips for Hunting Boundry Bay at low tide

I went out there for the first time this past weekend. Saturday night at high tide which was a blast, and then again Sunday morning at low tide which got me looking for the same answers as you. Stuck around for 4 hours Sunday mostly just watching the birds from the vegetation and couldn't figure out what to do. I had thought that there would be more action at first light but there really wasn't much going on. Im also limited to weekends only and boundary bay seems like the best option as i will be the retriever. However I did find myself wondering if maybe its not the place to be when the tide is out. On the other hand the weather was pretty good so perhaps on rougher days the ducks would be more inclined to hang around shore? Im very inexperienced so not much help to you unfortunately. Hopefully someone will chime in with a tip or two

High tide is the only time worth going, High tide and wind is the BEST, High tide and snow 2nd best, high tide and rain 3rd.

What about Ladner Marsh, How is it there when the tide is low?
    "If you're too busy to hunt or fish, you're to busy"
    Proud owner Of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever named "Bell"
    Till the day I die I will always have a Chesapeake

That I donno, I don't go there for some reason.??

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahdahl View Post
    What about Ladner Marsh, How is it there when the tide is low?
    you need a good boat for the Ladner marsh, cant say I have had much luck from the shore anywhere around there.

If you have a boat - there is always the Pit marsh as well.

I hunt BB on the high or ebbing tides and high winds. I hunt Ladner for geese or low tides, both have their ups and downs. Both areas seem to produce, I would love access to a field but c'est la vie. Last Sunday night BB, ebbing tide got there at 3pm - did ok. But it was high wind, and there were also four kite boarders out that would spook ducks off the water for me.