Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Year Old Lab Limping

Re: 2 Year Old Lab Limping

I have an appointment set up for Wednesday afternoon, they said if xrays are needed they will do them right away. Thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated. By chance I was just wondering the approximate cost any of you had to pay out for surgery on your pups knee assuming that is the problem. I may have to put my trip up north on hold till next year....He's worth it though

Get dog health insurance on line for your pup. It is quite affordable and it works right away after registration. On average they cover 80% of the cost of the service, and it runs depending on the dog weight about 40-60$ a month.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    I have an appointment set up for Wednesday afternoon, they said if xrays are needed they will do them right away. Thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated. By chance I was just wondering the approximate cost any of you had to pay out for surgery on your pups knee assuming that is the problem. I may have to put my trip up north on hold till next year....He's worth it though
    Hopefully some of the guys will chime in on the joint surgery possibilities but for a bit of a comparison- We just had about a dozen cists removed from our big guy all over his body a few of them armpit and elbow areas where they had some major incisions going on to get it all. Thank kripes none of it was cancer. So that's dozens of stitches, several surgerie really and the bill was 1500. Best of luck with it tinhorse.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Yes I am figuring in the 1500 to 3000 range... Oh well, part of the family. I looked into pet insurance but your pet needs a clean bill of health from a vet and no pre existing health problems or they will not cover it. Thanks for the reply Salty

Our lab required bilateral cruciate surgery on both knees. All said and done just over 5000$ so your probably close on 2500$. They offered a couple different surgery options, we went with one that was fairly new but cost a bit more. Can't remember the name off hand but they replace the tendon with Kevlar twine woven through holes drilled in the top and bottom knee bone. Might have been called tight rope method. They told us this had a lower risk of failer. Surgery was done almost 4 years ago and to this day you'd never no she had it done.

Look into the insurance now before diagnosis. I did this with suspected cancer and was glad i did.
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 10-06-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Sure sounds like a ruptured ACL. If he sits down does he fold his leg under him and sits square or stick it out sideways?

You can find good information here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=1975

What do you guys think of this information from this website. http://tiggerpoz.com/id3.html
    Of course I've been doing a lot of reading and came across that. 35rem, When sitting he is actuall pretty square. Looks like it may be sticking out to the side very very slightly but really hard to tell a difference between the left and right side.

What do you guys think of this information from this website. http://tiggerpoz.com/id3.html
    Of course I've been doing a lot of reading and came across that. 35rem, When sitting he is actuall pretty square. Looks like it may be sticking out to the side very very slightly but really hard to tell a difference between the left and right side.

FYI, 35rem is a competent professional with years of experience. If I was taking anyone's advice on this site it would be his. Research some of his previous posts on this subject......lots of good, factual information. Good luck with your boy. I know what a worry theses things are.
    Last edited by labguy; 10-07-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

X2 on the 1500-3000 range, my wife is a vet tech and best friend a vet, both are saying thats an accurate cost depending on clinic and case