Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Year Old Lab Limping

2 Year Old Lab Limping

I have a two year old yellow lab that has been limping intermittently on his back right leg for the last 3 weeks. He is a big fellow but not overweight (97 lbs). He is apparently 3/4 lab 1/4 golden retriever. Who knows. This happened after a walk where we ran into a couple other pups that he ran and wrestled with. Seemed ok during the walk then after laying down for an hour was limping and holding it up till he moved around for a few minutes and loosened it up. Now He will only favour it after he has exercised for a bit. While moving he is fine. We have tried to keep him from running and jumping but with two young kids that let him out it has been hard.

He he is good in the morning and doesn't seem stiff at all. Since it has been a while now I am getting a little worried about him. I will make a vet appointment this week and will be keeping him downstairs in his own room only allowing him to go out to pee or poop on a leash. Our friend was told to do this for 6 weeks with their lab also after injuring it's back leg.

The he only thing I can find is when he lags on his left side and i push his right leg up then pull it straight he whimpers a little. I can't feel any clicks or pops on the knee when I do this. He is fine with me doing this to his left leg.

Any suggestions or insight would be great. Hoping it's not anything major like acl or hip dysphasia. What would you suggest?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 Year Old Lab Limping

Could be a lot of things but keeping him quiet isn't going to hurt anything further that's for sure and it its best practice for most things it could be. You say you can move the leg around quite a bit and touch him all over so I wouldn't think anything is broken. Sprain? pulled muscle? even a bad bruise if he ended up tumbling. Don't stress just get him to the vet like you say they'll likely offer to do xrays which I think I would spring for. Its not a big deal to do them in this digital age picked ours up an hour later he was a little groggy from downers that's all. good luck with it
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

97lbs is a big dog. Torn ACL is not out of realms of possibility tumbling around with other dogs. Get him checked out but research your options for treatments. Don't be afraid of getting second opinions.

Best of luck

My 4 yr old lab had the same symptoms after playing with a couple dogs, we left it for a couple weeks as we thought it was heeling. We took her for X-rays to be sure and it ended up that she had a torn bilateral cruciate which is pretty common in labs they told us. She required surgery and recovery time was a month or so.

Thanks for the input everybody. I will be getting him in to the vet ASAP . Will update when I know more.

Good luck hope he makes a full recovery keep us informed.

Kinda sounds like the same thing that happened to my Newf. It ended up being her cranial cruciate ligament. We have had the surgery done now, and she has made a full recovery in about 3-4 months. Once you have her looked at, and figure it out, shoot me a PM if you want a name for second opinion and options for surgery
    (if that's whats needed). There are a few different options and procedures available, and all have different costs............ I could point you to great vet.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
    97lbs is a big dog. Torn ACL is not out of realms of possibility tumbling around with other dogs. Get him checked out but research your options for treatments. Don't be afraid of getting second opinions.

Best of luck
    x2 only I would add a very big dog expecially for one that probably hasn't totally finished filling out yet. There are a number of things it could be from a muscle strain to a bad hip to an ACL problem. get him vet checked and then take it from there.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

My rotti/dane(165lbs) had mcl problems for a good part of his life but lived a happy life with it. He couldnt play for hours but he wasnt suffering from it. The vet prescribed him meloxicam for days when he was sore and fortunately due to his size he was allowed to take the human form which was about 1/4 of the cost of the animal stuff, so maybe ask your vet if thats a possibility if they do prescribe that. Good luck

Xray needed. Then let us know what you find out about it. And make your desicion from there. A lot of us have been through this and can provide insight for ya