Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muley Hunt around Douglas Lake? ideas?

Re: Muley Hunt around Douglas Lake? ideas?

Mule Deer are way easier to shoot than White Tails, Mulies will stop a lot of times, ass towards you, and crank there necks to see what your doing, then, Bang, shot in the neck and the work starts! Whities run like bloody Coyotes, and very seldom stop to see what your doing. I've had to "Lead" a few over the years, wait for a open spot and fire just a touch a head of them, I've taken a few that stood still, but not to many. Good Luck, and lets see some pictures when you get back!

I worked for them a few years back (in the 90's) as their "Gilly" at Stoney Lake Lodge until I became disillusioned with all the politics, back stabbing and the pompous attitude of big Joe Gardner. Sure there are big mulies and whities there but they're no different then anywhere else, they get shot at just as much by the cow hands and other chosen friends of the people in power. They don't care to recognize the GOS regs like we have to, they call it "pest management" and have been known to shoot what they want when they want.The biggest difference you'll notice is the definite absence of ATV's, they wanted everyone to use horses when off road. I now hunt the upper portions and fringes of public accessible lands, especially the areas that Chunky loved to go, you have to know where the real line of private property is or the cowpokes will try to bully you around. Some of them still think that the deer and moose eat up all the grass that their precious cows process into methane and fertilizer.
    The migration of mulies (and open range whitetails) will be starting soon and you'll just have to find where the does are gathering to find the bucks, just like the rest of us poor *******s out in the real world.
    The one animal that does real well on the ranch is Black bears, they thrive on the alfalfa and the open pit garbage dump just south of the home ranch.
    If you're hunting from the seat of your truck just wait a couple more weeks until the snow flies and the rut starts to wind up, then you should be able to put one on the ground.

Since when can you get a weekend password access to DLR land?

near the ranch I once saw a nice 5x5 whitey driving down the connector around 60 yards off the highway , they are in the area so bring a wt tag...