Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muley Hunt around Douglas Lake? ideas?

Muley Hunt around Douglas Lake? ideas?

Taking a bit of a gamble by posting I am sure as this area is a bit contentious but have a weekend pass to hunt Douglas Lake Private Lands. I used to live over that way but that was before I got into hunting and now where I live I just hunt Whitetails. Mulies are new to me. doing research on the how to's so more looking for general areas. will they be in the large grasslands or more in the timber and ridges?
    Anyone ever hunted this area? I am going with some guys who know the area but thought I'd try to contribute some ideas.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Muley Hunt around Douglas Lake? ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bcfirefly View Post
    Taking a bit of a gamble by posting I am sure as this area is a bit contentious but have a weekend pass to hunt Douglas Lake Private Lands. I used to live over that way but that was before I got into hunting and now where I live I just hunt Whitetails. Mulies are new to me. doing research on the how to's so more looking for general areas. will they be in the large grasslands or more in the timber and ridges?
    Anyone ever hunted this area? I am going with some guys who know the area but thought I'd try to contribute some ideas.
    I'm under the impression that few hunters, fishers, and Fn are fans of the Douglas lake ranch

With no pressure on the deer there you should have some good pickin's. I usually hunt south of there on the connector and have seen lots of mulies wandering.... Wish i had access to DLR

Quote Originally Posted by ducktoller View Post
    I'm under the impression that few hunters, fishers, and Fn are fans of the Douglas lake ranch
    Fans why wouldn't we be fans since they bought quilchena and kicked us all off it during hunting season
    Strong like bull, Smart like truck

Agreed! not a fan. The Walmart family are trying to buy the whole valley..............beware!

Depends where you go on the Ranch. There can be heavy pressure - mostly from First ations and poachers.

Hunt the draws and tree islands/ridges just below the heavy timber - you will see lots of whitetail as well as mulies.
    hunting is an excuse to get outside and fill the freezer

It's my understanding that their whole ranch (deeded land) is off limits to folks without a pass. I have seen many a giant muley on the edges of their land (north side) many in the open . Their under no pressure and folks that trespass get chased out by roving patrols of cowboys. Shot one with out authorization I don't know what would happen to oneself. You should do well with your ok to hunt. Post pictures after the hunt please.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    It's my understanding that their whole ranch (deeded land) is off limits to folks without a pass. I have seen many a giant muley on the edges of their land (north side) many in the open . Their under no pressure and folks that trespass get chased out by roving patrols of cowboys. Shot one with out authorization I don't know what would happen to oneself. You should do well with your ok to hunt. Post pictures after the hunt please.
    Its off limits - except the lower nicola band has access and they bring in their buddies. there are always people sneaking in - I know a few of those roaming cowboys.
    hunting is an excuse to get outside and fill the freezer

Bring a whitetail tag....
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

I have hunted a couple ranches with permission across the road some big deer in that country and as was said very little pressure shouldn't have much problem