Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Region 3 Mulie

4x3 Mulie buck

First off, it's been quite awhile since I've posted anything on here haha. So hello.

This was my first time hunting without my dad, it was quite an experience.

I hunted this area almost every week day the past few weeks, I've seen probably 50 does. On Monday night I was cruising down the road and spotted what I thought was a doe, so I kept on going, about 50 feet later I look up at it and there's a buck laying down beside it! I put the binos up and notice that the "doe" was a spiker. The bigger buck was laying down and looking straight at me so I couldn't count points on him, at this time it was 4 point only. I was out of the truck and getting a rest set up, I didn't even have time to grasp the situation, as soon as I looked away and looked back the big buck was off into the bush moving too fast to count points, the spiker right behind him, then to the left about 60 feet another buck stood up, 2 point, damn! I circled around into the timber where they ran in, found a large meadow with all kinds of trails and beds through it. Spotted the 2 point again, he took off. I came back to this spot the next morning and walked in, saw nothing but a doe. Came back that evening, sat till dark, nothing. Bummer!

Well today any buck opened up, I was out there before shooting light, going back to my spot. Come around the corner, DEER! It's a doe... (it was just getting light enough to see) Oh wait, it's got bone! I jump out with the .270 as the buck took off out of sight, I started walking towards where it ran and saw it standing at the top of the hill looking straight at me, about 180-200 yards (further than I've ever shot before), I kneel down and breath, boom, the buck goes down, it gets up and runs. I walk up to where I hit it and look for blood, see it laying about 50 yards away, spots me and runs off again. Well I left my truck running in the middle of the road with the doors open so I figured, the buck is hurt, he won't go far, so I'll go move the truck... Came back, found blood, bone, lost the trail.... My gut instinct told me he went down and not up, so I went down, heard a sound to my left, there he was laying about 30 yards away, one in the head to put him outta his misery.

Now the fun begins. I'm roughly 250 yards from my truck. His skull is cracked open so I can't drag by the rack. The first shot I hit him in the leg (woops ), so his leg is broken, I had a tarp in the truck so I wrapped him up in that and drug him about 20 yards, realizing I'm completely out of shape I need to gut this deer before I go any further. Never gutted an animal by myself before, took me about 20 minutes. Got him to the road, got him in the truck (that was a pain in the ass also)

It was an awesome experience to do that all without my dad's help! Learned a few do's and do not's!

Last edited by GrizGuy92; 10-01-2014 at 07:28 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 3 Mulie

Congrats, nice buck!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

A 200 yard shot is a good poke if you don't have a rock solid rest. Nice deer for sure and a learning experience but really most hunts are learning experiences even if you have been hunting a long time. I have found if you don't have a solid rest ( stump or big rock ) get out of the standing position, two ankles don't steady much so a kneeling/sitting position is better. I carry a shooting stick with me now and wish I would have since I first started hunting, using a stick along with sitting/kneeling I find I can get very steady. You can also use it to knock all the spider webs down on the trail you are hunting if you are the first through for the day, good hunting.

Nice buck man congrats

Way to go.

I was in the kneeling/crouching position the first shot I made.

Nice buck! Great story, thanks for posting

awesome buck

Nice buck Grizguy.Yup it's a quick learning curve when you drop your first by yourself. Cheers Mark

20 minutes for your first time dressing a deer is not too shabby. Nice buck, congrats!