Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 degrees C

20 degrees C

I'm heading to region 3 to a whitetail spot that sounds promising. Temperate should be about 20C in the day and 10C overnight. I'm a little worried that it won't be cool enough in the shade to get the temps down if we are successful. When it's 20 out do people find that the shaded areas are ok to hang meat for a couple days? Wondering if I should have a backup plan for the meat.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 20 degrees C

I'd be heading home if I got my deer in 20 degree weather.
    shoot all your deer at the same time so you can leave or just wait until the last couple hours of your weekend to shoot them.
    eezy-peezy.

I would take them off the bone and put them in a cooler. That meat is too precious to risk losing.

The Blow Flies will love you for hanging there favorite meal in 20 degree temperatures!!! Depending on where your going in Region 3, I just happen to have a walk in cooler, the Blow Flies hate it!!! I keep it around 2 to 4 degrees, I charge 10 bucks a day for Deer, and 15 a day to hang a Moose. BUT, beings your a great guy, much like myself, we can discuss the rates, and your a Member in Good Standing on this site also, we'll also use that to keep the bill down! If possible, give me a call when you get a Deer and I'll turn the room on, my home number is 250-573-4271. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Twogunns View Post
    I would take them off the bone and put them in a cooler. That meat is too precious to risk losing.
    how would that be legal though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    how would that be legal though?
    Keep the nuts naturally attached to one quarter and keep the antlers and I would say your good to go. That's what I'd do anyway.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Philcott View Post
    Keep the nuts naturally attached to one quarter and keep the antlers and I would say your good to go. That's what I'd do anyway.
    but if he totally debones the meat and puts it in a cooler, like suggested, pretty hard to do that.
    and just having the loose antlers isn't adequate from what I've understood.
    thought they had to be attached.

This is what I received from the ministry when I asked.

(2) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
    (a) if the animal was male, either
    (i) that portion of the head that bears the antlers, or
    (ii) both
    (A) a testicle or part of the penis, and
    (B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and
    As far as an antler restriction goes.

There is no definition of “carcass” in the provincial Wildlife Act. In cases where things are not specifically defined in legislation definitions that are commonly found in dictionaries are used. Dictionary definitions of “carcass” vary; some include the head and hooves, some do not. The Conservation Officer Service does not consider a detached head as “part of a carcass”; hunters that retain that portion of the head that bears the antlers attached to a detached head do not meet the requirement for evidence of sex and species. If a hunter is using that portion of the head that bears the antlers as evidence of sex and species, it must be left naturally attached to a portion of the carcass other than a detached head (i.e. a front quarter).
    I read the above to say a detached head does not constitute proof of sex, nuts or penis will do that and the tail will constitute proof of species.

I also "believe" having the separated head with antlers will suffice for the antler restriction but not proof of sex. This is just my belief.

So I'd leave the nuts or penis and the tail attached to one deboned quarter and I'd bring the antlers attached to the head.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Philcott View Post
    This is what I received from the ministry when I asked.

As far as an antler restriction goes.

I read the above to say a detached head does not constitute proof of sex, nuts or penis will do that and the tail will constitute proof of species.

I also "believe" having the separated head with antlers will suffice for the antler restriction but not proof of sex. This is just my belief.

So I'd leave the nuts or penis and the tail attached to one deboned quarter and I'd bring the antlers attached to the head.
    This is what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    but if he totally debones the meat and puts it in a cooler, like suggested, pretty hard to do that.
    and just having the loose antlers isn't adequate from what I've understood.
    thought they had to be attached.
    Serious ? You've been around for several of these discussions ...naw , your just kidding , right ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole