Thread: Bow for Grouse

Bow for Grouse

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a decent priced bow for grouse and small game. Not looking to "Tim Wells" them outta the air or 50 yards out, just wanna try somthing different and i'm sure the practice will out as well.

Was out this weekend and put the hammer down on the grouse and bunnies with my .410 and .22, more than once i had to perfect opportunity to smack em with an arrow if i had one. Currently have a PSE 3G at 60lbs so a little heavy for small game.

Not a die hard serious bow hunter (yet) so don't need anything to fancy or expensive, looking for a fairly decent brand/bow though for grouse and small game. Wondering what others use ? pound draw, arrows, tips, where to shoot them at (upper/lower body, head) how often do your arrows get damaged, lost etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow for Grouse

I use a Hoyt ultratec for grouse so I am sure your pse will be fine. I use judo points and try to shoot them with some kind of a back drop so if you miss the arrow will get caught up in the brush. I tend to aim for the back and it kills them dead.

If I was only going to shoot small game then I'd look at getting a Mathews Genesis Pro http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis-pro/ You can put a rest and sight on it and use a release or fingers... way fun to shoot! Check your pm.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck View Post
    I use a Hoyt ultratec for grouse so I am sure your pse will be fine. I use judo points and try to shoot them with some kind of a back drop so if you miss the arrow will get caught up in the brush. I tend to aim for the back and it kills them dead.
    Really? i was thinking it would be way to heavy and would blast right through them or lose an arrow on every other shot. I think that was my main concern, i didn't wan to use my nice PSE arrows and lose one here and there plus damage, or have to leave the stuck in trees. I was thinking of something in the minimal 40lb range and possibly somthing small. Will keep looking into it further, thanks for the info !

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    If I was only going to shoot small game then I'd look at getting a Mathews Genesis Pro http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis-pro/ You can put a rest and sight on it and use a release or fingers... way fun to shoot! Check your pm.

hmmmm those look nice.. expecially for small game. Like i mentioned i have my PSE which is for target and large game so wanted to find something smaller and less lb that wouldn't destroy every other arrow plus punch right through a little grouse or bunny.

Thanks for the PM, am going to do a little more research and see what fellow hunters are using before i decide on a purchase. I may be in touch for one of those guys tho, sure look fun.

Thanks again !

Does the bow not have to meet the 40lb min requirements to hunt ? or is that only for large game... confused on what i read in the regs.

get the small game heads for your arrows, no points, i think they are called stunners?.. but ive used a few, and when you smoke a grouse in the neck or back, its down for good

For grouse I use a Martin Jaguar bow. For heads I use red feather small game heads, which I ordered from the states over the internet. They are basically angular chunks of tool steel, and when shot from a 50 lb. recurve dispatch grouse and bunnies like Thor's hammer.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Looked so not it as well I have what are called small game shocker heads for arrows (can pick them up most places or even amazon) and a recurve bow and if your really paranoid about losing arrows look into picking up some flu-flu arrows. Especially if you decide you wanna try em in the air.
    Strong like bull, Smart like truck