Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Found my Blacktail area...now what?

Re: Found my Blacktail area...now what?

I am pretty sure that I am the only one that has been in there, it is a really shitty area to get to. It was about a 1000ft climb through the following picture before I got to an area that looked huntable and that is where I found the sheds. I was literally just passing through to get to the alpine...

No climbing ropes etc, or any other sign of a human footprint.

Awesome, that'll keep lots of competition out lol

It made me think of mountain we have been scouting 2-2. Technically not blacktail country on the books, but there's most definitely blacktails there.

That is some good Region 2 hunting right there. Thumbs up to you. Perfect example of how to be successful in the region. I hope you find the cranker that left that shed. You are definitely onto some good genetics. Who knows, there could be something even bigger.

if you are finding big sheds in old growth you are in there wintering grounds .... I wouldn't spend to much time in there until nov when it snows. They will be lower during the day , possibly still on the NW side of the hill. weather is starting to cool now but if its still warm there they wont be on the SE side

if there is alpine they will move up top at night to feed then head back down into the thick shit during the day.

I cant stress enough not to spend to much time in there right now. wait till the first snow. The deer will be just below the 12 inch level of snow and they will move to that SE side, Bt's like to stay as high as possible , not always but they like to stay in a snow level less than 12 inches. if the snow is hard and they can walk on top of it they will head back up higher again. It gets hard to hunt them again when the snow freezes , they get around good and its very loud to walk on.

Very critical to time that first snow if were in for a harsh winter

Good luck , you got a great spot

Keep us updated please, love me a good blacktail thread.