Thread: Stink Bait Sturg

guest Guest

Stink Bait Sturg

Well now that I have your attention Sturgeon fishers ..... are they on Stink yet ? How ya all been making out for productivity ??

Looking forward to the October Feed Fest ! Can't wait to get out !

Fishin Hard

CT

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stink Bait Sturg

They've been on stink for 2 months. Good luck finding it.
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk

We got one on stink last weekend, missed a couple others, they didn't even sniff the squaw fish we tried using.....

Ive never got one on Squaw... fresh or floater salmon... LOTS, Eulachon... LOTS... Best day ever was on fresh salmon though.

stinky old salmon floating down the river worked great last week
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

I catch more on stink bait, I just really hate fishing it. The smell can get to you if you have any accidents or get any in your boat.. Must be getting a weak stomach in my old age..

Other day found a floater that was beyond "ripe" my buddy was about to scoop it up in the net until i told him that sucker aint coming in the boat or in my salmon net, not gonna happen ! lol

Anyways... went to make an incision and she "popped" all over my transom.. oh man what a smell, took the pressure washer when i got home and then dumped a pile of bug spray on her (i find this masks any smell)

This thing was so past due that i could not even get belly strips out of it, and if i did there was no way they were going to stay on the hook. While gagging and laughing at my buddy on the bow covering his face i managed to "squeeze" a large portion of the inside (guts, meat, bones) everything as it was straight mush into a few roe bags. After mustering up enough courage to finish tying and getting them onto the hook i tossed the rest overboard... bad mistake... these "gooey balls" were the ticket, soon as you hit bottom is was almost fish on right away. To the point we didn;t even put the rods in the holders or would cast the second out. We took turns and proceeded to hook 5 fish on back to back casts from the same hole on only 2 "gooey balls". After some sore arms and few good battles we were onto another hole and ran out of our stink. 6 hours later, 4 anchor drops and only one 3footer. Pulled anchor and went looking for more stink, found a few floaters but they weren't quite as ripe as the last one. Only hooked one more little 4' on stink, wish we would have kept that knarly gut wrenching stink bomb on the boat for the rest of the day. Might have continued on our hot streak and been able to take Sunday off with sore arms..

When I used to do a lot of sturgeon fishing I would pick up a floater at the end of the day and put it in a bucket with a lid and leave it out in the sun for a week to ripen and fish it the next weekend...Mmmmmm yummy!

Rubber gloves are a must for that kinda work. I remember a few years ago I got a drop of it on my wrist... Every time I brought my had to my face I gagged... lasted for days no matter what I used to clean it off.

guest Guest

Got a Couple on Stink Spring today, Kind of hard to find, surprised by that, a few on Sockeye belly, eel and Roe too. Biggest close to 7 feet. Great day on water with friends.CT