Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Five Point Bull Elk

Re: Five Point Bull Elk

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Hahaha, I have a buddy in GP who has killed 3 B&C bulls there, so a 300 bull isn't a monster. Rode the horses all over 'public land' in that country that has lots of elk in it.

Sounds like a classic Husky story.

If only they had a 6 pts season over there everything would be sooooo much better.
    I can't believe you would make up a STORY like that to try and prove a point

Quote Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact! View Post
    I dont exactly like it but here in region 8 where every year most of the 6 point elk get killed each year, some pockets all the 6 points get killed, I dont see a shortage of calves in the spring, seems all the cows still get bread, its nice to see 6 plus year old bulls but in region 8 that doesnt happen and there is still a fair amount of elk killed each year, sustainable yes I would say. All that being said I would rather see the season the way it is then go to LEH
    Just curious where you are getting these statistics from? Factual or just coffee shop gibberish? Have numerous 6 points on our cams year after year that survive the season, have posted a number of them on here.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

I run about 6 - 7 cameras in the area we hunt (from May to October) and the number and type/age of bulls we see on the cam is very different from the ones we see through binoculars during the hunt. Many many distinguishing antler features which we never see out in the open during daylight hours.

Lets not be fooled by what we see during the hunt. I would highly doubt all the six pts in reg 8 are taken by seasons end. But I do believe we should think through opening up hunting opportunity and increased opportunity on the same age class.
    Last edited by J_T; 10-05-2014 at 08:28 PM.

If our elk pops are stable and increasing like they say in reg 8, then obviously the 6 point season is going along smoothly..I agree with many then that we should increase hunter opportunity. Therefore, why don't they try running the 6 point season a little longer, say til Oct 31st would that work?? Or, would making a GOS season for 6 point or greater bulls + say 3 point only would that work, or would opening up a 3 point only along with the 6 point or greater result in too many 4 and 5 pointers being mistakenly shot?

Quote Originally Posted by OutWest View Post
    Just curious where you are getting these statistics from? Factual or just coffee shop gibberish? Have numerous 6 points on our cams year after year that survive the season, have posted a number of them on here.
    Factual from my cams, have many legal Bulls on my cams, every year I see most if not all dead either on Hbc or in person,

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Lots of out-of-province hunters are jealous of B.C. liberal rifle season , especially so close or during the prime rut . 3 or 6 point , we maybe should look at what is best to sustain the rifle hunt in that period .

That would be good read. Not sure how anyone could quantify whether the rut goes smoother with fewer or more large bulls. there would still be lots of fighting and chasing no matter. Also suggesting somehow the younger bulls somehow miss the mark ?
    Endless data on the mature bull component.
    I wouldn't bring attention to it otherwise.
    I will post numerous links at some point given time.
    Surprised that this data is being refuted by some.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea