Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideal upland bird gun?

Re: Ideal upland bird gun?

lol ya them 410's are not cheap!

BUT Alas, 20Ga and 28ga ammo is not hard to find... 28 more so then 20 and 28 does cost more for sure... but how much ammo do you shoot? Realistically?
    so if you have a cool old 28,,,, buy a bunch when you find it.... or get a 20 even Walmart has 20ga!

Sure if you have a cool old 28 ga don't throw it away. But chances are you are not taking that gun as your primary.
    I don't shoot a lot compared to what some other guys do but I will trash a box of two of target loads when I go out. I would like to shoot trap more.
    Some of the calibers went by the wayside.
    I think in the old country they had 16 ga most often but north American calibers have become dominant.
    12 ga has become the thing.

Last edited by adriaticum; 09-25-2014 at 02:04 PM.

12ga has only become the thing because people seem to be choosing the "Do all" over the properly done. and most have forgotten how to shoot a shotgun at flying birds.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    The most exotic thing I have is the .410
    And you'd think the ammo would be cheaper than 12g.
    Not a chance.
    and people say ".410 is a great little grouse gun" ya right.. not at the price ammo is. My dad gave me one, its been shot twice since its been in my hands.
    and thanks for the pic you posted of the shells.. 4Guage?? HOLY MOLY. who hunted with that? Fred Flintstone??
    Last edited by hoochie; 09-25-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Benelli Ultralight with a 24" barrel. 20ga is only 5.2#'s

punt guns ... from the market hunting days.... i have a 8ga slug. its a 2oz slug it was used to blast the crud off of boilers. not so much anymore lol

The market hunters would mount 1 or 2, 4 guages on the bow of their punts load them up with nails or what they had. They would float out into a raft of ducks and shoot then they would skull around picking up a thousand or more dead and dying ducks
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Up landing I use a SX3 in 20 gauge great fun winging them in the air and can shoot 3 shells in 1-2 seconds if you really want it too... Dogs seem to love when I make it rain birds for them though. have a .410 / .22 under over too but it's pretty much turned into my just have it for taking dogs for a run in a field mid week gun.... You know just in case
    Strong like bull, Smart like truck

My wonderful wife shoots a Purdy Best Extra 20 bore that she inherited from her Granddad. She only takes it out in fine weather and rarely lets me have a go, but that has to be with out a doubt the finest shotgun I heve ever walked the hedgerows with.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

My vote for the ideal upland bird gun would be a Remington Wingmaster 870 LW Special Field in 20ga, nice short 21" dual bead vent ribbed barrel with english stock.