Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BC government Google Earth land use data file

Re: BC government Google Earth land use data file

Greatness. Commenting so I can come back and try.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Should make this a sticky thanks
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

That's great in so many ways but also outdated at the same time.
    I compared my GPS tracks in some area I know well and the roads on the map have completely changed. And that's not recent.
    I'm not bashing the op but rather put an emphasis on "do your due diligence and check first". You don't want to plan a week-long hunt only to be staring at a missing bridge or a 10 ft pile of dirt/rocks/stumps.

Do you subscribe to Google earth pro? You have a white update come across your screen for 3 seconds, mine is 7 minutes and then occasionally one or two yellow "private property" indicators will show up. I am on a good network connection at home and have nowhere near the functionality you seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by dime View Post
    Do you subscribe to Google earth pro? You have a white update come across your screen for 3 seconds, mine is 7 minutes and then occasionally one or two yellow "private property" indicators will show up. I am on a good network connection at home and have nowhere near the functionality you seem to have.
    Nope, just regular Google Earth. I've seen it run on many machines and there was never any kind of delay like that. There might be an issue with the government right now. This morning I get a big red X after a few seconds. That typically means the government data base is down temporarily.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Legi0n View Post
    That's great in so many ways but also outdated at the same time.
    I compared my GPS tracks in some area I know well and the roads on the map have completely changed. And that's not recent.
    I'm not bashing the op but rather put an emphasis on "do your due diligence and check first". You don't want to plan a week-long hunt only to be staring at a missing bridge or a 10 ft pile of dirt/rocks/stumps.
    There is a selection for "All forest road sections" and another for "Active forest road sections". The active ones should be current if the forest company went by the plan... which doesn't always happen.

As you say, you will always have to put boots on the ground to determine the validity of any of the information.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

If I am correct, private is yellow, surveyed crown is pink/purple ish, leases are a blue green, right of ways are orange, IR's are grey, Recreation Sites and Trails green.

Xpeieer

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    If I am correct, private is yellow, surveyed crown is pink/purple ish, leases are a blue green, right of ways are orange, IR's are grey, Recreation Sites and Trails green.

Xpeieer
    If you click on the blue headings you will get a legend of what each colour means.

This is awesome SP, I hope this wasn't a result of my technical ineptitude!! Haha. Thanks again for the help!

Not sure if this has been brought up yet... but this file also works with Garmin Basecamp, so you can directly upload it to your GPS