Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting without sights

Shooting without sights

Does anyone shoot a compound with out pins? Since trad guys use no sighting devices except there eyes it can be done with a wheelie bow, I have just never heard of it. I read in Traditional bowhunter about a guy who bent his pins and shot a bear instinctivley(sp) the same night. Any experinces?

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Shooting without sights

I've seen "bare bow" compounds. It is done by a very few - and done accurately, with enough practice. That's the key - practice.

Shooting bare compound will give you a couple of benefits right off the get-go.

First, you can take advantage of the bow's letoff and hold longer - waiting for the animal to present itself. Also you can shoot a much higher poundage than traditional shooters would be comfortable with.

Second, you can also shoot with a mechanical release if you want to - thus imparting less fishtailing or porpoising in the arrow, not to mention that the release is directly inline with the nock which will give you much more level nock travel - increasing accuracy.

Well, I just had to yank this from a post on the other side in bowhunting. Thanks to Tuffcity for finding this. This video says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XE5MKq1iM

That guy is one hell of a shot. Something about those traditional bows that I just love. I am gonna get one someday.

there is a fellow I know on the 3D circuit who used to shoot a compound barebow...no release, no sights. He routinely put up scores to rival those with pins and releases, truly a great shooter.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

mr mobbs by chance shris???
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

but of course!! on more than one occasion when I was feeling froggy about a good round or two, a quick look at his scores would put me in my place!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I shot this mule deer without any sights:

Attachment 814
    Last edited by ianwuzhere; 04-16-2007 at 07:07 PM.

In 1985 till 2000 I used to shoot a compound without sights and releasing with a fingertab. Believe it or not I was very good with it and my first dozen deer were taken that way. I used to shoot a lot tough, and that's the secret. I was real good a judging range and knew what my bow could do.

Like a fool I bought a new faster bow and started using sights. Yep, I was pretty good too and shot deer up to 55 yards with them sights and fingers. Now I shoot sights and release although the release is getting off the bow this week, I just can't stand the damn thing when hunting!

Edited to add without peep too, that is coming off the bow as well, darned crazy invention...

Troutseeker
    Last edited by troutseeker; 03-24-2007 at 09:40 PM.

I shoot my compound with sights but without a peep. With the kisser button, I find that with a lot of practice I can shoot quite well. Having no peep allows me to shoot in low light conds when the animals really start to move. I will never go back.