Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Grouse Gun?

Re: New Grouse Gun?

Thanks, I am leaning more towards a 20 gauge because I can use it for ducks too. The 410 would be a grouse only gun. Thanks for the help everyone.

Picked up a weatherby sa-08, which choke do you guys use in your 20 ga for grouse and rabbits?

I like the full choke as a personal preference with 2 3/4"-----#6,,,,,,,,,,,,5-10 yards takes the head off cleanly,,,,,,,15-25 yards the pattern of birdshot is concentrated around head,,,,,,,and 25-45 yards still a tight enough pattern around head and neck for those long shots on the long straight stretches
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by xtrail View Post
    Picked up a weatherby sa-08, which choke do you guys use in your 20 ga for grouse and rabbits?
    Modified for everything from quail to geese with my wife's SA08 20 it kills $hit just fine thank you.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I too have an SA-08 but in 12g. I love that gun, it has never let me down. I'm now loking for a used 30g to have as a back up/loaner gun

I use a 12 guage, key is hit them in the head. 10 grouse so far this year, not a pellet in the meat.

have you considered a .410?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmullmar View Post
    have you considered a .410?
    Personally I see no sense in a 410. They are expensive to shoot and not very versatile, (most who use them ground sluice so why not just use a 22, practise a little and head shoot grouse for pennies a shot). A 20 ga on the other hand is cheap and easy to get ammo for and if you ever want to shoot waterfowl it will do the job just fine thank you. If you feel you need a scattergun to ground sluice your birds, you can shoot them in the head with a 20 as easy as a 410.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I inherited an old 16 ga. Ranger. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Btw, I noticed that there is a Cooley 20 gague up for grabs in the guns & bows classifieds on this board. Should be the cats a$$ for grouse
    hunting.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell