Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Grouse Gun?

Re: New Grouse Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Personally I see no sense in a 410. They are expensive to shoot and not very versatile, (most who use them ground sluice so why not just use a 22, practise a little and head shoot grouse for pennies a shot). A 20 ga on the other hand is cheap and easy to get ammo for and if you ever want to shoot waterfowl it will do the job just fine thank you. If you feel you need a scattergun to ground sluice your birds, you can shoot them in the head with a 20 as easy as a 410.
    I haven't met a lot of people who could successfully wingshoot grouse with a 410. I know they are out there, but they must be a way better shots than average.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Bought my son (14 years old)a Mossberg 20 gauge pump last year. He shoots ducks, geese, grouse, turkeys, and rabbits. The variety of shells are good and responsibly priced. He head shoots the grouse and I have not seen a pellet yet. I used a Cooey single shot for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumsehwah View Post
    Btw, I noticed that there is a Cooley 20 gague up for grabs in the guns & bows classifieds on this board. Should be the cats a$$ for grouse
    hunting.
    Thanks for promoting it. It is a great grouse gun! nudge, nudge (wink, wink), granted every time I see a grouse I have my 308 in my hands and every time I see a deer or bear I have the 20 gauge :\

I'm using a .22wmr and a 20 gauge shotgun. I have shot all of my grouse except for 2 this year with the 20 gauge. Mine is a semi-auto too.

I've long ago given up on the rimfires for grouse shooting. Too many lost/wounded birds. Even with head shots, I've 'beaked' a few. Not pretty. .410 is fine for most ground shooting, and I've taken a few on the wing with it. But I think the 28 gauge is pretty much the perfect grouse gun, and that's what I've used for all of my upland hunting over the past several years. Of course, the ammo can be hard to find, and relatively outrageous..

Nothing wrong with the 20 gauge for upland bird shooting, and it's also suitable for ducks