Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: crossbow or compound bow

Re: crossbow or compound bow

Cute Gatehouse.

This is a civil discussion in response to someone's legitimate question. There was never any malicious thought previously to provoke anyone. Nor swing one way or another regarding legal archery tackle. The experiences provided by those who posted provided a good snap shot of information for Tikka.

I may not be a moderator, however I do view your post as potentially provoking. So I'd just like to set that record straight and those of us that remain civil can simply ignore your post.

We do appreciate your desire to participate though.

JT

You can ignore it, or just take it for what it is- A funny. Often indicated by the presence of a

It was a brief interjection of humour, a bit of satire based on previous crossbow threads.

You may carry on with your extremely serious discussion now....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

At the PNE, I cant hit the target Im aiming at from five feet with a crossbow, so I doubt I'd have any great success hitting a deer at 30 yards with one.
    Guess I'll stick to rifle season.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    At the PNE, I cant hit the target Im aiming at from five feet with a crossbow, so I doubt I'd have any great success hitting a deer at 30 yards with one.
    Guess I'll stick to rifle season.
    You mean that crossbow they fix so it's as inaccurate as hell Not a great comparison

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

You don't want to go "trad"... horribly inaccurate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XE5MKq1iM

RC

RC,

Very very well put. Enough said. And they weigh so much.

Tikka

You hit on something called fun with your buddy and his bow. Remember that.

Whatever weapon you choose, choose it for the right reasons, your right reasons.

One thing you must know about crossbows. Even though they may weigh in at a draw weight far in excess of a compound, recurve or longbow they have a much shouter power stroke, (the distance the string pushes or accelerates the arrow before the bolt is on its way). This is why a crossbow has to have a much heavier weight than other bows. They can also be extremely noisy. They can be just as effective but like anything else they have their limitations and you have to understand your weapon and know what you are doing.

Don't be in a rush. Before you run out and buy one talk to a few KNOWLEDGABLE people, not just dealers who want your money. And also learn a bit about the other bows available. I think you'll find it time well spent.

And J T is right. Hunting with a bow is not the same game as hunting with a rifle. If you get the chance...take the IBEP course.

Coyote

i will get either one or the other in the summer so i can have time to practice for september. but until then i have time to think about which one i will get, but thanks for the info. i was just wondering what anyone had to say about either one as i like to get as much info on things as i can before i get something.

Something else to chew on.....99% of the archery clubbs I know of will not allow the use of a crossbow at their ranges.....so you'll need somewhere to practice if you buy a crossbow.....and believe me, it's a lot easier to learn indoors than out.
    IMO, archery clubs should allow crossbows.

Tinney makes a good point about being allowed to use the X-bow at club ranges and things such as 3D shoots. The social aspect of archery is great and you may very well miss out on that with a crossbow. As far as the clubs allowing X-bows Tinney...as i understand it, its not their call. Most clubs in the province rely on BCAA for their insurance and their insurance carrier will not cover X-bow's under the policy. I believe that clubs such as Merritt who allow them at the shoot have to purchase an extra rider on the policy to cover it off. I could be wrong but it seems to me that was what the issue boiled down to in the end...the clubs can't afford the possible liability of having X-bow shooters on board.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson