Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: crossbow or compound bow

Re: crossbow or compound bow

[quote]
    Last season, our camp observed a couple of hunters using crossbows, and it appeared to us, that they didn't distinguish between the two. With a rifle, you might see an animal on the move at distance and attempt a shot. The concern many experienced bowhunters have, is that an individual that is crossing over from rifle to bow and is using a crossbow, may continue to hunt similarly. IE, what we observed by two crossbow shooters where extremely long shots (60 - 80 yards) shooting all bolts and running to retrieve those bolts from the ground and shooting them again.

For this reason CO's have also expressed concern about cross over hunters who choose a crossbow.

For this reason, if you are new to bowhunting, most of us recommend the International Bowhunting Education Program (IBEP) as it will make you aware of subtle and not so subtle differences in bowhunting that are very important.[quote]

personally JT. I think you should have just stuck to the last paragraph. Once again it is the human being behind the weapon not the weapon that determines the ethics involved. We've all seen abuse, no matter which weapon is used.

having said that, tikka , JT is definitley right that all bowhunters...new or experienced should take the course...always something to learn.

bcfarmer

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tikka
    i was also wondering on how easey it is to spok an animal when drawing the boe when hunting compared to having a cross bow already set to fire. that is my bigest consern. i wnet bow hunting with a friend in september i did not have a bow but he did and it was more fun than rifle. we didnt get anything though but having the deer get so close to you without seeing you was the coolest part. it seems to take more efort in bow hunting but that is what makes seem beter to me.
    Tikka - what was your friend using to bow hunt? Cross bow? Compound? Traditional?

Shooting the same style as your buddy will enhance your own experience(s) and his as well.

Having said all of the above, it is my opinion (and only mine) that you just might enjoy the compound style of archery the most - although I will not discount Traditional, as I am getting more and more interested in the "stick-n-string" side of things.

Choose carefully and I hope you enjoy your choice.

Do not forget to practice - whatever style you choose, practise only makes you better.

my friend was using a compound bow.
    thanks for the input. now that i think of it, the compound bow seems to be more chalanging and that is what keeps it intoresting and injoyable.

personally JT. I think you should have just stuck to the last paragraph. Once again it is the human being behind the weapon not the weapon that determines the ethics involved. We've all seen abuse, no matter which weapon is used.
    BCF, I was merely using an example to make a point. My example points out that it isn't about ethics, it's about the difference between styles of hunting. It's about knowledge, or a lack thereof. The crossbow, can mislead a bowhunter to assume his crossbow hunting harvests should be done similarly to those done with rifle. In making my point, I simply used an example. I wasn't pointing out ethics. Unless someone points it out how would they know it may not be appropriate to retrieve a bolt or arrow and fling again without confirming the arrow's readiness to be fired. Those who have read this may now have a better understanding of why.

I'm sure we all agree, the CORE program generally (depending on the instructor) lacks horribly in preparing a hunter for bowhunting. Which is why we support the IBEP.

JT

Bow Walker Guest

Well spoken (typed) J T

They are both arrow flinging devices. They both fling arrows of similar weight, with similar broadheads, at similar speeds, over similar distances, using a similar method. Neither is likely more accurate than the other, and neither is likely to give you a tremendous advantage over the other. Both have their minor advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other. Anyone who tells you anything otherwise than the above probably has a personal agenda to promote one or the other.

I suggest you pick the weapon that most appeals to you, and don't listen to the guff that goes around on crossbow threads. Yee olde deer won't notice what flung the arrow what does 'im in.
    Last edited by brotherjack; 03-13-2007 at 07:30 PM.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Easy there brojack.
    We might keep this as the only civil crossbow thread ever. They are both similar. The only difference I can really see is that MOST crossbow shooters I know wanted the challenge of getting closer to game and still being able to shoot an arrow, but like using the bow like a rifle, if that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by brotherjack
    They are both arrow flinging devices. They both fling arrows of similar weight, with similar broadheads, at similar speeds, over similar distances, using a similar method. Neither is likely more accurate than the other, and neither is likely to give you a tremendous advantage over the other. Both have their minor advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other. Anyone who tells you anything otherwise than the above probably has a personal agenda to promote one or the other.

I suggest you pick the weapon that most appeals to you, and don't listen to the guff that goes around on crossbow threads. Yee olde deer won't notice what flung the arrow what does 'im in.
    Exactly my sentiments.

As for using the crossbow like a firearm statements, that is not what I experienced among crossbow shooters with a few exceptions. As stated in my earlier post and again by brotherjack. The efficiency, accuracy and effective range of compound and crossbow are the same. All else is preference of the individual person.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by tikka
    i want to buy a bow for this hunting seasin, but i am debating on weather to buy a cross bow or compound bow.
    Oooooooohhhhhhhh Nnnnnnnooooooooooo

Man I am glad this topis is not in my section. Good luck boys. Pretty civil so far......I am impressed

Get a crossbow.

If nothing else, it will annoy some people.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!