Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Information on Etiquette

Some Information on Etiquette

I am a resident of region 7B and have never hunted outside of the region. Its a big region and deactivated logging roads, oil and gas lease access roads, trails, cutblocks, etc far outnumber the hunters using them for access. Since I have never hunted outside the area, as I said, I am only assuming that in the southernly portion of the province, space is not of the unlimited appearance. It costs a lot of money and effort to embark on a trip diagonally across this province in pursuit of what we all love, so I wish anybody who does luck and opportunity. However, that being said, if you see a vehicle parked at the entrance to a dead end trail, cutline, or something of the like, why continue down that same trail? Give people their space, don't crowd anybody, and don't quad down trails that all signs point to somebody walking down. Also, do not block roads with camps. If the first mentioned etiquette is followed, then there is absolutely no point in this. Anybody I have ever talked to about these issues shakes their head the same way I do, so I thought it was a point to bring up.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Some Information on Etiquette

Good point , however I have seen camps blocking the rd that has several valleys and different trail heads...sort of trying to keep everyone from 30 sq kilometers for themselves, I had someone this spring come unglued when I suddenly encountered them walking...maybe 200 yards from a major junction each continuing on for 10 kms..he felt he should have singular access to both...I merely informed him I was continuing on and told him which route I was going.
    Same as folks putting up no hunting no tresspassing signs on crown land..piggish..
    Be reasonable give each other some space however the province is not your private reserve...
    Cheers
    Steven

Yes if you see someone parked before a cut block you don't want to disturb them.
    Last week I saw a guy sitting and waiting in a cut block with his quad parked; and so I reversed and left him alone.
    And on numerous occasions people just go back when they encountered me walking on the road.
    But as usual some people think etiquette is what they stick on poultry meat in grocery stores.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Also not everyone may know the area like you do. They might not know if the road ends in 500m or 10km. But if they do then I agree it is a dick move.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Just don't block the roads regardless.
    I could tell you a story from region 3 a couple years back where all parties came unglued...not pretty!
    Smashed vehicles and gun fire. ( RCMP got involved)

If you want to be alone, stay at home!
    If you want to hunt, walk as far as ya can away from roads, possibly to the other side of a cut block.
    Otherwise, leave it alone, it ain't private property.
    Yes, can try to respect others, but if I driven all day to get somewhere, where I know I want to hunt, I'm going to hunt it, regardless of who gets there first.
    I may walk to a different area nearby another hunter surely...I'm not going to walk on top of him.
    But I won't go for got here first!....G/O's would have me beat every time.

Heck, I have even walked into other guys out in the middle of nowhere, miles from roads.
    If I don't like all the pressure in the area, then "I" don't come back!
    If a guy is in a stand or blind, ya, I'll give the room, but over the next ridge etc is fair game in my books.
    But for the most part, I do try to avoid other hunters just for the sake of enjoying my hunt.

Sure you can stop and hunt at the end of a spur road etc, but my advice is walk from that point away from the traffic if you want a spot to yourself.
    Cheers

I remember hunting gas lines in 7B, as well as drill test lines. Big wide cut lines with tall grass down them going for miles. Some guys set their camp up right in the middle of the ATV trails, on a main gas line. The ATV trail went right through the middle of their camp. I was wondering if they thought they were setting up a toll gate. First day out in pre-dawn darkness I bumped into this camp during my regular hunting route. I idled my ATV right through the middle of their camp both at dawn and dark in both directions. I saw their early morning long faces glaring at me as I rode right through their camp. They were 3 feet away from me. I smiled and said good morning or good evening depending what time it was. After 3 days of several hunters having to do the same thing on their ATVs, they finally packed up and moved on. There were several cleared large drill head areas that were level and off the main roads. Perfect spots to set up a hunting camp. Why they set up on a main hunting trail is beyond me.

So if they were there first am I supposed to stay away from them? Who's the idiot here?

Here we go again.

Once upon a time I thought that you had to get there first and I did.
    Then one day, I got there first as usual and proceeded with haste toward my ambush point.
    I was a couple hundred yards uphill in the timber when I heard the truck rattle up to where I parked my truck on the dead end.
    I waited for the customary door slam which did not happen immediately so I continued on. I had not gone too many steps when I heard a volley of shots. I knew the futility to continue on so I returned down the hill to the truck and the success of the hunters.
    It turned out that there were three hunters. When they got to my truck and turned around, one decided that he had to have a whizz. They all quietly got out and as they were standing there, a passel of mule deer bucks and does arrived and paused long enough for everyone to pop a deer.
    I had great expectations that morning many years ago, however, I went home empty handed.
    I have other memories of similar occurrances , some in my favour.
    The point is, there is no need to be first hunter, the only hunter. Let the other guy go by, he just might make the game get up after he has passed. Obviously if you encounter a hunter in a blind or stand along the game trail, don't stop to talk or dillydally about, keep moving on, quietly.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Excellent points you guys (Bugle M In doesn't have much of a grasp of my point, but hey, "stay at home"). The issue isn't wanting to treat crown land as private, it is wanting to share it courteously, keeping everybody's odds up, and getting back to basics. Its enjoyable when guys stop by if your camped or walking, ask your intent, and help formulate a plan that works for everybody. I don't see much of a debate here; don't block roads and don't intentionally crowd somebody. Of course you sometimes stumble across other guys, and that's part of the game, but definitely try not to interfere with anybody.

There will always be dicks out there who could care less about your hunt. Archery opening day this year we got to a spot that we planned to hunt, my partner had a tree stand up & I had a ground blind. When we arrived at 4ish am we found two other hunters parked at the landing. Had a chat with them found out they got their asses out of bed @ 330am. We wished them good luck and went down the rd. It sucked but fair is fair. They stopped by our camp later that morning to share info & say thanks Stand up guys! Lots of country out there give guys space even if you drive all night! If you get beat into a spot suck it up & go somewhere else.